Saturn's Dark And Mysterious Outer Ring Is Even Bigger Than Expected

Old June 17th 15, 04:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Saturn's Dark And Mysterious Outer Ring Is Even Bigger Than Expected

On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 3:15:10 PM UTC+1, Sam Wormley wrote:

Eventually I engaged, Gerald, trying to understand why he rants
and what might be the basis of his misunderstanding. His trouble
is rooted in the Anglican interpretation of the rotation of the
earth. Gerald regularly expresses his utter contempt and disgust
that we professors and teachers of astronomy note that the earth
rotates once, four minutes shy of 24 hours.

You have these guys talking about sailors and 'real men' (whatever that is supposed to mean) in an era where you can come here and announce contempt for the 24 hour system and the Lat/Long system which sits within the calendar framework and carries the information that the Earth turns at a rate of 15 degrees per hour,no more or no less.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/astrono...facts/harrison

Great men indeed have given their efforts so sailors could navigate our home planet with relative safety based on the principle that the average 24 hour day substitutes for constant rotation once each day in an exquisite switching of the terms 'average' with 'constant'.

Maybe will infect the next generation with the 'solar vs sidereal' fiction or not mention what external references are used to create the foundation for timekeeping using both daily and orbital motions. John Harrison who first created the most accurate of watches did comment on professors and teachers which is no different today then it was back then -

"Now, in the former part of this book, I have treated about matters
pertaining to the strictness of measuring time; and have shewn the
deficiencies of such means as Mr. Graham had taken or made use of for
that purpose; and I have also treated of the improper, troublesome,
erroneous - tedious method, which the professors at Cambridge and
Oxford would have to be for the longitude at sea:" Harrison

Cannot imagine why anyone could not support the basic principles which tie the rotation of the planet to each 24 hour day and extended on to the inviolate proportion which ties days to orbital circuits. This is the 21st century where it is unconscionable to hold an alternative view and especially with people in space -

http://mashable.com/2015/06/16/inter...ltra-hd-video/