M8 - A Milky Way treasure

Old June 16th 15, 09:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

Default M8 - A Milky Way treasure

Narrow band H-a image of the Lagoon, shot from Las Campanas, Chile by the AP 12" F8 Astrograph, Howard Hedlund and Dave Jurasevich, processed by Dave. Image scale 80% of full resolution. This bright patch of light in the Milky Way was first seen with unaided eye around 1650 by Giovanni Hodierna. In the brightest part of the Lagoon lies the Hourglass Nebula, first named by Sir John Hershel.

A good time to observe this object is after midnight when the Milky Way rises high in the south.

http://www.buytelescopes.com/content...n-nebula..jpeg

Uncanebula
Old June 16th 15, 09:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 6/16/15 3:42 PM, Uncarollo2 wrote:

Narrow band H-a image of the Lagoon, shot from Las Campanas, Chile by the AP 12" F8 Astrograph, Howard Hedlund and Dave Jurasevich, processed by Dave. Image scale 80% of full resolution. This bright patch of light in the Milky Way was first seen with unaided eye around 1650 by Giovanni Hodierna. In the brightest part of the Lagoon lies the Hourglass Nebula, first named by Sir John Hershel.

A good time to observe this object is after midnight when the Milky Way rises high in the south.

http://www.buytelescopes.com/content...on-nebula.jpeg

Uncanebula

Nice!

Old June 19th 15, 11:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sketcher

I find the image rather fascinating. There's a wealth of detail that my non-H-Alpha eyes have never seen through an eyepiece, yet the more familiar Lagoon is there also. I thought I saw the (large) face of the 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' in the left side of the image and Batman's much smaller silhouetted head on the right. To see even more I would have to sketch my own copy of the image. It's easy to miss some details that are right in front of our eyes!

Sketcher,
To sketch is to see.

Old June 20th 15, 03:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 6:37:25 PM UTC-4, Sketcher wrote:
I thought I saw the (large) face of the 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' in the left side of the image and Batman's much smaller silhouetted head on the right.

I see the face of a mountain lion about one third the way in from the right, one fourth of the way down from the top. Try as I might, I don't see Elvis or Jesus anywhere in the image...