Orion service module

Old June 5th 14, 10:50 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Default Orion service module

I see they have put out a press release about fitting the first test heat
shield to the capsule, and in that release they mention the service module.
I've heard little about this piece of hardware recently and wondered what
was being launched on this unmanned test. Is it just a dummy, or is it too,
now built and under test?
Description of the heat shield seem very familiar to me, having been
around during Apollo!
Just bigger!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old June 6th 14, 08:41 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff[_2_]

You have not been reading the mail then.
The donut thing is a test for mars re entry, nothing to do with Orion.
The Orion is going to be launched on a heavy lift launcher with service
module in December and go very high and re enter very fast to make sure
everything works.
All the other tests have been done already
I don't think the idea is to use this for ISS, though arguably a docking
adaptor could be use for it. Its just a crew module, one assumes that we are
effectively going back to the old days with bolt on living module and
landing module for planets etc, and a service module on the back to power
everything.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"JF Mezei" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 14-06-05 17:50, Brian Gaff wrote:
I see they have put out a press release about fitting the first test heat
shield to the capsule,

They also had a tween about a "donut" fitted around the base to help
slow it down. Basically an aerodynamic brake that probably burns off
after a while, leaving the cleaner capsule shape.

I have absolutelty no idea what will be done with Orion. As far as I am
concerned, it is a Pork project, make work project. Not even sure if it
will ever launch to ISS. And certaintly not to other planets.

I've heard little about this piece of hardware recently and wondered what
was being launched on this unmanned test.

It is a fair bet the first one would be an unmanned test. Not sure if it
would go to orbit and renter from orbit, or just be dropped from high
altitude to test parachutes etc.

Old June 6th 14, 10:31 AM posted to sci.space.station
Anthony Frost

In message
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I see they have put out a press release about fitting the first test heat
shield to the capsule, and in that release they mention the service module.
I've heard little about this piece of hardware recently and wondered what
was being launched on this unmanned test.

ESA are supplying the service module for the first two flights.
Simplistically it's the back end of an ATV with the Orion replacing the
pressurised volume.

Anthony

Old June 6th 14, 07:18 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_4_]

In article om,
says...

On 14-06-06 03:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its just a crew module,

It is just a capsule. Can't sustain people for long periods. So it's
role is basically to secure crews during take off and re-entry in tight
seats and tight fit. It's bigger than Apollo not because they want to
make it comfortable, but because they want to fit more people in it.

Personally, I think an expedition ship would be better off with 2 soyuz
size re-entry capsules than one Orion.

I also do not see any projects that will make use of Orion, hence my
thinking it is Pork.

Designing some capsule without a specific use in mind is a nice make
work project that will likely yield something that isn't really good for
anything.

Actually, Orion's life support sytems are supposed to be rated for "up
to 21 days maximum active crew time plus 6 months quiescent". Fromn
what I understand, the 21 day requirement was driven by the duration of
a hypothetical lunar mission. 21 days is fairly "long" when compared to
the requirements for Commercial Crew, which are on the order of "several
days", even when you include continencies.

Jeff