Nice shot of the homestead

Old July 16th 11, 07:55 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Default Nice shot of the homestead

Saw this first on the Scientific American site, but it is also an Image of
The Day on NASA's multimedia gallery.
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/570224main_iss028e016137_full.jpg
Thanks to Ron Garan for grabbing the oportunity!

The gallery also has a shot of the cupola taken during the same spacewalk.
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html

/dps
Old July 17th 11, 10:09 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

JF Mezei scribbled something like ...

Snidely wrote:
Saw this first on the Scientific American site, but it is also an
Image of The Day on NASA's multimedia gallery.
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/570224main_iss028e016137_full.jpg

Out of curiosity, has the earth changed shape significantly in the
last couple of weeks ? This picture seems to have a rather weird
curvature of the earth. Would an extreme wide angle produce a more
even effect or distorting the curvature of earth ?

I knew the earth is a bit flatter at the poles, but this is way more
than I though :-)

Wide-angle lenses do produce distortion ... and you notice the distortion
is worse at the edges. I think the apparent curveture of the foreground
structure (radiators?) also is from that.

Telephoto lenses produce a different distortion, making things appear
closer to one another as well as to the camera.

The gallery also has a shot of the cupola taken during the same
spacewalk.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html

OK, I gotta ask this:

In the above image, there is cupola attached to node3 which is
attached to unity (node1) to which is attached the MPLM at nadir.

On the russian segment, what is the structure on the foreground, the
one with the big white tank ? I know there is a soyuz/progress docking
port and I assume it is attached to zarya nadir. What is the purpose
of the tank ? Was it launched at same time as the module ?

It doesn't look like the air tanks on the US airlock, so I'm going to
guess an equipment locker.

Also, in the Zvezda zenith, I haven't kept up with the modules. I
thought Piers had been moved zenith of zvezda ? What is the name of
that docking module ?

While I am at it, do the Russians have any credible plans for
additional modules ?

Also, what will NASA do with the MPLMs that are on earth ? Send them
for houston as training devices ?

I'll defer to others for the rest of the answers.

/dps