coordinate transformation

Old November 30th 13, 08:15 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Default coordinate transformation

on 11/28/2013, Brian Gaff supposed :
Well that shut em all up big time...

There's a solution manual for that, I'm sure.

I tend not to deal with orbital coordinates, except for feeding TLEs to
whichever app I'm using at the moment. (Currently, DroidSat.
However, I still rank STSPLUS very high, though the author is long
gone.)

My small number of books on orbital mechanics are in storage, so I
wouldn't be able to do better than look at Wikipedia, and try to parrot
it back.

There are still a couple of people here who have done orbital
mechanics, IIRC, but perhaps not since school.

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.

Old November 30th 13, 08:36 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain

On 11/30/2013 2:15 AM, Snidely wrote:
on 11/28/2013, Brian Gaff supposed :
Well that shut em all up big time...

There's a solution manual for that, I'm sure.

I tend not to deal with orbital coordinates, except for feeding TLEs to
whichever app I'm using at the moment. (Currently, DroidSat. However,
I still rank STSPLUS very high, though the author is long gone.)

My small number of books on orbital mechanics are in storage, so I
wouldn't be able to do better than look at Wikipedia, and try to parrot
it back.

There are still a couple of people here who have done orbital mechanics,
IIRC, but perhaps not since school.

/dps

I took a quick gander at what Wikipedia had to say about this and it
quickly "devolves" into trig and matrix mathematics in areas I'm not
familiar with and haven't studied in years.

Basically it looks like he's asking for an example of working a
transform from orbital co-ordinates to the ENU co-ordinates for mapping
an orbital position or possibly an orbital track onto the surface of an
ellipsoid (like the Earth).

A brief Google search yielded no quick examples either.

I've seen this request posted on other forums outside of USENET, however
instead of any satisfactory answer all I've seen are the usual
"do your own homework" snarks.

If this is or was part of a homework assignment, talk to your instructor
or your T/A. Or if you are a student in a university system, ask a
librarian at the Physics College to help you do a literature search.
Make your tuition count! Librarians are your friends! Trust me....

As a last resort try re-posting your question to the a-rocket mailing
list. Essentially membership is free. You can sign-up he

http://www.arocketry.net/forum.html

Dave

Old November 30th 13, 10:13 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain

FYI ENU stands for East-North-Up...

See also:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...0719.app0c/pdf

Dave

Old December 3rd 13, 01:54 AM posted to sci.space.station
[email protected]

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:43:44 AM UTC+5:30, David Spain wrote:
FYI ENU stands for East-North-Up...

See also:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...0719.app0c/pdf

Dave

Thanks, this was a very good link.
Old December 3rd 13, 05:06 AM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain

On 12/2/2013 7:54 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:43:44 AM UTC+5:30, David Spain wrote:
FYI ENU stands for East-North-Up...

See also:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...0719.app0c/pdf

Dave

Thanks, this was a very good link.

Wasn't sure what you were looking for specifically, but there is a
transformation matrix there for conversion from RPY to ENU. But you
might have wanted an transformation matrix from ECI to ENU and I didn't
see an exact example of that there. Good Luck.

Dave

Old December 3rd 13, 12:07 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

David Spain explained :
On 12/2/2013 7:54 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:43:44 AM UTC+5:30, David Spain wrote:
FYI ENU stands for East-North-Up...

See also:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...0719.app0c/pdf

Dave

Thanks, this was a very good link.

Wasn't sure what you were looking for specifically, but there is a
transformation matrix there for conversion from RPY to ENU. But you might
have wanted an transformation matrix from ECI to ENU and I didn't see an
exact example of that there. Good Luck.

That reference has a place on my reading list ... thank you!

/dps

--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are