Grapple fixture details

Old May 27th 12, 04:12 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Default Grapple fixture details

From watching the video of the capture, I'm curious as to how the
grapple fixture is actually deployed. Is it on the (prelaunch)
underside of the hatch, and flips into position? Is it on a "shelf"
seperate from the hatch and swings out?

Have any Gentle Readers here found good pictures showing the mechanism?

Also, the two videos in the NASA gallery that show capture keep
switching between different cameras. I hope that the Gallery Keepers
will do something like the Shuttle Launch programming, where there's a
video file of all the different cameras, each camera getting a full run
before playing the next camera in sequence.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old June 7th 12, 07:04 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Snidely scribbled something like ...

From watching the video of the capture, I'm curious as to how the
grapple fixture is actually deployed. Is it on the (prelaunch)
underside of the hatch, and flips into position? Is it on a "shelf"
seperate from the hatch and swings out?

Have any Gentle Readers here found good pictures showing the mechanism?

Also, the two videos in the NASA gallery that show capture keep
switching between different cameras. I hope that the Gallery Keepers
will do something like the Shuttle Launch programming, where there's a
video file of all the different cameras, each camera getting a full run
before playing the next camera in sequence.

Youse guys gots nuttin', eh?

/dps
Old June 7th 12, 11:08 PM posted to sci.space.station
M Ross

Snidely wrote:

Snidely scribbled something like ...

From watching the video of the capture, I'm curious as to

how the
grapple fixture is actually deployed. Is it on the

(prelaunch)
underside of the hatch, and flips into position? Is it on

a "shelf"
seperate from the hatch and swings out?

Have any Gentle Readers here found good pictures showing

the mechanism?

Also, the two videos in the NASA gallery that show capture

keep
switching between different cameras. I hope that the

Gallery Keepers
will do something like the Shuttle Launch programming,

where there's a
video file of all the different cameras, each camera

getting a full run
before playing the next camera in sequence.

Youse guys gots nuttin', eh?

/dps

It is on the back side of a panel, which opens to reveal it
for capture. The panel closes for re-entry.

Mike Ross

Old June 8th 12, 11:11 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

M Ross scribbled something like ...

Snidely scribbled something like ...

From watching the video of the capture, I'm curious as to

how the
grapple fixture is actually deployed.

[...]

It is on the back side of a panel, which opens to reveal it
for capture. The panel closes for re-entry.

Mike Ross

Thanks, Mike!

/dps
Old June 20th 12, 07:33 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Snidely submitted this idea :
M Ross scribbled something like ...

Snidely scribbled something like ...

From watching the video of the capture, I'm curious as to how the
grapple fixture is actually deployed.

[...]

It is on the back side of a panel, which opens to reveal it
for capture. The panel closes for re-entry.

Mike Ross

Thanks, Mike!

Also, check out the hi-res image at
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-31/html/iss031e071146.html

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old June 20th 12, 07:41 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Snidely explained on 6/19/2012 :
Snidely submitted this idea :
M Ross scribbled something like ...

Snidely scribbled something like ...

From watching the video of the capture, I'm curious as to how the
grapple fixture is actually deployed.

[...]

It is on the back side of a panel, which opens to reveal it for capture.
The panel closes for re-entry.

Mike Ross

Thanks, Mike!

Also, check out the hi-res image at
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-31/html/iss031e071146.html

Even better,
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/multimedia/gallery/iss031e070745.html

(There are about 1000 paths to image galleries on NASA web sites; each
one finds sets that differ from the other paths.)

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old June 20th 12, 09:31 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article m,
says...

Snidely wrote:

Even better,
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/multimedia/gallery/iss031e070745.html

Interesting that SpaceX chose to have the grapple fixture behind a trap
door instead of affixed externally.

Seems to introduce a failure mode if the trap door doesn't open
properly. (and I suspect presents structural challenges to have that
door be able to haul the whole craft around when the arm wants to move
it.) Even worse, if the door doesn't close, re-entry wouldn't be
possible (a bit like shuttle's cargo bay doors).

Wouldn't it have been easier to put the grapple fixture on the service
side of the craft instead of having it is on the re-entry module ?

It would have been easier, but then it would burn up on re-entry after
every mission. From what I understand, SpaceX has put *a lot* of
hardware into the capsule that has traditionally been in a disposable
service module precisely because they plan to reuse the hardware.

In this case, perhaps NASA wants a "new capsule" for each ISS mission,
but does that necessarily mean it wants a new grapple fixture for each
mission, or would they let SpaceX use one already flown on another
capsule? Seems to be a question that only NASA and SpaceX can answer.
Furthermore, the answer may change over time if someone at NASA realizes
that building a brand new grapple fixture for every flight is becoming
expensive.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old June 27th 12, 04:07 AM posted to sci.space.station
Me

On Jun 20, 4:31*pm, Jeff Findley wrote:

In this case, perhaps NASA wants a "new capsule" for each ISS mission,

False. NASA did not make that a requirement. For CRS, since the
ability to refurb the capsules and costs were unknown, NASA said to
price the missions as though there would be new capsules for
missions.