Delay factor

Old November 7th 11, 12:22 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Delay factor

So how are they going to run missions that are light minutes away from
Earth? Its surely going to need much more localised information on the craft
to be able to research snything that causes problems. I'm sure they ahve
done this kind of thing in simulations already, but it does make you wonder
how its all going to work.
Brian

Email:

Old November 7th 11, 12:53 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

They already do run such missions. You just plan your moves hours or
minutes ahead.

In fact basically any none earth orbit mission already has this issue.

But I'm pretty sure you knew that? Am I missing something in your question?

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

So how are they going to run missions that are light minutes away from
Earth? Its surely going to need much more localised information on the
craft to be able to research snything that causes problems. I'm sure they
ahve done this kind of thing in simulations already, but it does make you
wonder how its all going to work.
Brian

-- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
Email:
_________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

--
Greg D. Moore President Green Mountain Software
http://www.greenms.com

Old November 7th 11, 01:04 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Well, I can think of several times recently where the fact that a reply from
the ground was needed fast to resolve an issue during an eva. Some kind of
system is needed to get around this one would have thought.
also on an allied front. it seems to me that Nasa values the transmission
of live tv from missions to show the people what the money is spent on and
to give others around the world a view of what the US can do etc. But in a
mission say to an asteroid, this might not always be possible real time and
it will of course be delayed in any case.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
m...

Old December 21st 11, 05:46 AM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Been meaning to reply, but keep getting distracted. Sorry.

I see now you're referring to crewed flight. Yes, I agree, Mission Control
will most likely have to rethink how they do things and end up giving more
autonomy to the crew on the scene.

However, to a certain extent, MC will probably always know a bit more of the
big picture than the crew, but won't be able to transmit it in time.

They'll learn to cope. ;-)