Online tutor?

Old October 23rd 12, 12:48 PM
Lunar Lunar is offline
Junior Member

Default Online tutor?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and want to learn more about our solar system and beyond. I'm eight years old and feel too advanced for what my school are teaching me (poems about the order of the planets in our solar system!) I want to learn more.

I know the basics but I'm struggling to understand the more advanced books and documentaries. Is there anyone who can help me understand beyond the basics?
Old October 23rd 12, 04:21 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Barry Schwarz[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 11:48:19 +0000, Lunar
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and want to learn more about our solar system and
beyond. I'm eight years old and feel too advanced for what my school are
teaching me (poems about the order of the planets in our solar system!)
I want to learn more.

I know the basics but I'm struggling to understand the more advanced
books and documentaries. Is there anyone who can help me understand
beyond the basics?

Pick a topic and ask a specific question. See if anyone here can
help.

--
Remove del for email
Old October 23rd 12, 04:42 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

On 23/10/2012 12:48, Lunar wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and want to learn more about our solar system and
beyond. I'm eight years old and feel too advanced for what my school are
teaching me (poems about the order of the planets in our solar system!)
I want to learn more.

Ask away and we will try to answer at the right level. There is also

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/...StarChild.html

And probably more. ISTR there are some space fact trivia trading cards.

The childrens books on science and astronomy review with wildly
different 5* and 1* ratings for the same book so I'd try and borrow them
from a public or school library until you find one you like!

I know the basics but I'm struggling to understand the more advanced
books and documentaries. Is there anyone who can help me understand
beyond the basics?

Decide which areas interest you and we can try and point you towards a
book or online resource at about the right level.

Worth a look in your local library to see if they have anything.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 23rd 12, 07:50 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36[_2_]

On Oct 23, 8:42*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
[...]

You lot crack me up,the child asks for basic planetary facts and NASA
can't give it to them -

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/...rth_facts.html

Is there an intelligent adult who can work out that the fundamental
unit of timekeeping is the number of rotations,to the nearest
rotation,corresponding to 4 orbital circuits of the Earth.The
Egyptians worked out it takes an extra day after 4 year for the star
Sirius to reappear from behind the glare of the Sun due specifically
to the orbital motion of the Earth -

" on account of the precession of the rising of Sirius by one day in
the course of 4 years.. therefore it shall be, that the year of 360
days and the 5 days added to their end, so one day shall be from this
day after every 4 years added to the 5 epagomenae before the New Year,
whereby all men shall learn, that what was a little defective in the
order as regards the seasons and the year, as also the opinions which
are contained in the rules of the learned on the heavenly orbits, are
now corrected and improved.." Canopus Decree

There are 1461 AM/PM cycles inclusive of 4 orbital circuits and the
averaging process which creates the 24 hour day also asserts that
rotation is constant without any external reference save the number of
times it occurs in 4 years.The whole process which uses the calendar
format of 365/366 days to create the 24 hour AM/PM cycle in tandem
with the Lat/Long system and maintains a correspondence of 15 degrees/
1037.5 miles per hour at the equator prohibits the Ra/Dec extensions
which NASA tries to present as planetary facts.

An 8 year old may not be able to process the necessary geometric
judgments needed to make sense of the transfer of days/years into
rotations/orbital circuits but teenagers should with the aid of
graphics and modern imaging,of course,this supposes that adults can
get their act together with time,space and motion as it actually exist
rather than following the poor conclusion created by John Flamsteed.

The error should be treated with the utmost urgency and transparency
and especially as the key to the resolution partly resides with John
Harrison who defies the silly fact sheet of NASA -

"The application of a Timekeeper to this discovery is founded upon the
following principles: the earth's surface is divided into 360 equal
parts (by imaginary lines drawn from North to South) which are called
Degrees of Longitude; and its daily revolution Eastward round its own
axis is performed in 24 hours; consequently in that period, each of
those imaginary lines or degrees, becomes successively opposite to the
Sun (which makes the noon or precise middle of the day at each of
those degrees and it must follow, that from the time any one of
those lines passes the Sun, till the next passes, must be just four
minutes, for 24 hours being divided by 360 will give that quantity; so
that for every degree of Longitude we sail Westward, it will be noon
with us four minutes the later, and for every degree Eastward four
minutes the sooner, and so on in proportion for any greater or less
quantity. Now, the exact time of the day at the place where we are,
can be ascertained by well known and easy observations of the Sun if
visible for a few minutes at any time from his being ten degrees high
until within an hour of noon, or from an hour after noon until he is
only 10 degrees high in the afternoon; if therefore, at any time when
such observation is made, a Timekeeper tells us at the same moment
what o'clock it is at the place we sailed from, our Longitude is
clearly discovered." John Harrison

The English get to decide,albeit the window of opportunity is
closing,whether they wish to continue on with the worst possible
conclusion ever drawn or have an external source fix it for them,after
all,NASA itself is veering rapidly away from the error and adopting
the correct planetary facts -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDWHM00sZJc

Old October 23rd 12, 08:26 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

On 23/10/2012 19:50, oriel36 wrote:
On Oct 23, 8:42 am, Martin Brown
wrote:
[...]

The OP would do well to note that there are some right nutters and kooks
on the internet who post meaningless word salad text - a sample of which
is now conveniently between my original reply and this post.

If you can't make sense of Oriel36 ramblings then don't worry - nobody
else can either. You are not alone. You as an eight year old probably
already have a better understanding of modern physics than he does.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 23rd 12, 09:07 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36[_2_]

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/...tem_level1/ear...

[...]

Why would you send an 8 year old to a website which does not give the
accurate basic facts for the Earth ?.Even I allow that NASA has
changed it position and is now moving towards a stable astronomical
narrative but has not handled the error in a transparent way however
the English response to an English problem is quite different in a
dismaying sort of way. Even when principles and insights expounded by
the great John Harrison are ignored and that takes some doing as it is
the equivalent of the Americans ignoring the achievement of Armstrong
and the moon landing

If the English are presently occupied by a scandal centering on the
misuse of trust of children by a celebrity then they have no idea what
is looming in the background when empiricists/physicists are brought
to task in simple astronomical matters.There are no hastily assembled
committees asking how in God's name did an entire community lose basic
planetary facts and lose them they did.

If you can't make sense of Oriel36 ramblings then don't worry - nobody
else can either. You are not alone. You as an eight year old probably
already have a better understanding of modern physics than he does.

Leave him alone,he is a child.

I hold nobody accountable over the last 3 centuries for making a
mistake and taking a step too far with the Ra/Dec system,after all,it
is a great calendar based convenience for predicting eclipses and the
relationship of celestial bodies to each other but it cannot supplant
the 24 hour AM/PM system in tandem with the Lat/Long system as a
means to extract the daily and annual motions of the Earth.

On the other hand,I do hold people here accountable for the mistake
and whether the English choose to fix this mistake or not,it is
already being dealt with,even in a poor sort of way.Bluster all you
will Brown,I still hold people like John Harrison and William Blake
as true Englishmen who display the individuality, the creative/
productive nature and the sense of fair play rather than the empirical
thugs who now occupy English science.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old October 24th 12, 08:59 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

On 23/10/2012 12:48, Lunar wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and want to learn more about our solar system and
beyond. I'm eight years old and feel too advanced for what my school are
teaching me (poems about the order of the planets in our solar system!)
I want to learn more.

I know the basics but I'm struggling to understand the more advanced
books and documentaries. Is there anyone who can help me understand
beyond the basics?

One afterthought.

You should write or email to the UK magazine "Astronomy Now" suggesting
that they have a junior page or column that explains the basics.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 24th 12, 11:26 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36[_2_]

On Oct 24, 12:59*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 23/10/2012 12:48, Lunar wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and want to learn more about our solar system and
beyond. I'm eight years old and feel too advanced for what my school are
teaching me (poems about the order of the planets in our solar system!)
I want to learn more.

I know the basics but I'm struggling to understand the more advanced
books and documentaries. Is there anyone who can help me understand
beyond the basics?

One afterthought.

You should write or email to the UK magazine "Astronomy Now" suggesting
that they have a juniotic r page or column that explains the basics.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

How a bunch of empirical thugs managed to subvert astronomy is quite a
story and a very complicated one but ultimately it filters down to the
education system where it surfaces as ridiculous ideas fit for no man
nor student -

"Each solar day the Earth rotates 360º with respect to the Sun.
Similarly the Earth rotates 360º with respect to the background stars
in a sidereal day. During each solar day, the motion of the Earth
around the Sun means the Earth rotates 361º with respect to the
background stars."

http://certificate.ulo.ucl.ac.uk/mod...bDoc.5458.html

Don't talk to me about abuse of children by celebrities and the
response to it,the systematic abuse of position by teachers is far
more damaging and it is not possible to plead ignorance, a society
which cannot keep 24 hour days in step with one rotation of the Earth
has failed as the priority of interpretative faculties which drive a
healthy society are replaced by the speculative nonsense of modelers.

This is not 'Piltdown man' where empirical thugs can conceal a hoax
for 40 years until people retire or die before they attempt to set
things right,this is the 21st century and as the Italian judgment
demonstrates,the era of wild 'predictive' agendas without
responsibility or accountability is over.Again,the English must face
the mess created within their borders or have it done for them
externally.
Old October 24th 12, 09:14 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dr J R Stockton[_183_]

In uk.sci.astronomy message , Tue, 23 Oct
2012 16:42:09, Martin Brown posted:

On 23/10/2012 12:48, Lunar wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and want to learn more about our solar system and
beyond. I'm eight years old and feel too advanced for what my school are
teaching me (poems about the order of the planets in our solar system!)
I want to learn more.

Ask away and we will try to answer at the right level. There is also

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/...StarChild.html

H'mmm - all it has relevant to the Lagrange Points (popular nowadays) is
a GIF of Lagrange. The deficiency has been pointed out.

Contrary to common opinion, Lagrange did not discover the Lagrange
Points - although the final step to the Points from what he did is
trivial, he did not take it in the /Essai/, and, AFAICS, nowhere else
either. Euler discovered L1 & L2, quietly. Details on my site.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Mail via homepage. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links;
Old October 25th 12, 08:44 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

On 24/10/2012 21:14, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
[...]

Be fair John!

The intricacies of the Lagrange points are not within easy grasp of an
average eight year old. A picture of the guy is more than enough - he
was a great mathematician. Most physics undergraduates today would
struggle to derive the orbital Lagrangian points from first principles.

Another interesting site for the OP is Stellarium which provides a
realtime simulated view of the sky on a PC which shows where to look for
planets and comets. Jupiter is easy in the evening sky now.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/

Or simpler and online by month/Zodiac sign

http://www.skyguide.org.uk/months/skywheel.htm

Or by constellation

http://www.skyguide.org.uk/constella...cassiopeia.htm

I remember being interested in astronomy too at about that age and the
main thing that frustrated me was that the star maps in books did not
include the planets! Obvious why when you know that they move about!
"Planet" literally means "wandering star".

BTW It would be nice to know if these replies are reaching
spacebanter.com and if the OP is still there.

I hope he hasn't been frightened off by Oriel36 blather.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown