Jupiter & Ganymede

Old October 27th 10, 10:35 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
jim

Default Jupiter & Ganymede

On 2010-10-27, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
Pete Lawrence writes:

Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time! Here's a shot of Jupiter
I took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010. This
particular shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon Ganymede was
exiting from Jupiter's disk.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/jupiter...9-45_RGB15.jpg

This is awesome. I am a beginner in these things. Can you please explain
or provide a ref. to what a C-14 is? Is that a lense that you attach to
a digital camera or a telescope?

A C-14 is a model of telescope made by Celestron.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK Facetime

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
Old October 27th 10, 10:42 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Paulo J. Matos

Jim writes:

A C-14 is a model of telescope made by Celestron.

Thanks!
Oh my, I am seeing a photo of it and it's a huge beast!
No wonder, I guess you need a powerful telescope to take a photo like
that.

--
PMatos
Old October 27th 10, 10:47 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
jim

On 2010-10-27, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
Jim writes:

A C-14 is a model of telescope made by Celestron.

Thanks!
Oh my, I am seeing a photo of it and it's a huge beast!
No wonder, I guess you need a powerful telescope to take a photo like
that.

It also helps that Pete is very, very good at this :-)

Jim

Old October 27th 10, 10:56 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Paulo J. Matos

Jim writes:

It also helps that Pete is very, very good at this :-)

Of course! I didn't mean to say that the talent is all in the
telescope!

Actually I have been going to a series of public astronomy talks and
observations in Cambridge which are pretty awesome I have a feeling that
they also have a C14 since they keep referring to it as the 14inch.
In tonights observation I will take a closer look to the telescope if I
can.

--
PMatos
Old October 27th 10, 11:30 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 2010-10-27, Paulo J. wrote:
writes:

A C-14 is a model of telescope made by Celestron.

Thanks!
Oh my, I am seeing a photo of it and it's a huge beast!
No wonder, I guess you need a powerful telescope to take a photo like
that.

It also helps that Pete is very, very good at this :-)

There are some pretty impressive shots by others using more modest 8"
Meade and Celestron SCTs that are still very very good. Petes images are
exceptional, but the advent of cheap webcams to snatch moments of good
seeing and shift and add software to isolate the lucky images (ie ones
where the image was truly in focus but shifted around a bit) has
revolutionised planetary photography.

One side effect is that we now know that Jupiter gets whacked by pieces
of comet rather more often than we once believed SL9 to be unique. This
guy was also using 14.5" aperture...

http://jupiter.samba.org/jupiter-impact.html

http://meteoriteblog.com/tag/jupiter-asteroid-impact/

Fitting that it was seen almost on the 15th anniversary of SL9.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 27th 10, 01:39 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Mark Ayliffe[_2_]

On or about 2010-10-27,
Paulo J. Matos illuminated us with:
Jim writes:

It also helps that Pete is very, very good at this :-)

Of course! I didn't mean to say that the talent is all in the
telescope!

Actually I have been going to a series of public astronomy talks and
observations in Cambridge which are pretty awesome I have a feeling that
they also have a C14 since they keep referring to it as the 14inch.
In tonights observation I will take a closer look to the telescope if I
can.

Ooh, thanks for the nudge. I have a rare fee Wednesday evening today,
so I'll try to get there. Not sure about their 14 inch telescope, but
this one's rather fun:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/about_ioa/h...humberland.php

--
Mark
Real email address | Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
Old October 27th 10, 01:43 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Mark Ayliffe[_2_]

On or about 2010-10-27,
Mark Ayliffe illuminated us with:
Jim writes:

It also helps that Pete is very, very good at this :-)

Of course! I didn't mean to say that the talent is all in the
telescope!

Actually I have been going to a series of public astronomy talks and
observations in Cambridge which are pretty awesome I have a feeling that
they also have a C14 since they keep referring to it as the 14inch.
In tonights observation I will take a closer look to the telescope if I
can.

Ooh, thanks for the nudge. I have a rare fee Wednesday evening today,
so I'll try to get there. Not sure about their 14 inch telescope, but
this one's rather fun:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/about_ioa/h...humberland.php

Ah, this would be the one:
http://www.caa-cya.org/newversion/fg....php?counter=0 (second pic
down)

--
Mark
Real email address | Ah, part of Unix's charm. It's quite user-friendly
Old October 27th 10, 02:41 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Paulo J. Matos

Mark Ayliffe writes:

Ooh, thanks for the nudge. I have a rare fee Wednesday evening today,
so I'll try to get there. Not sure about their 14 inch telescope, but
this one's rather fun:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/about_ioa/h...humberland.php

Yes, I have been there actually 4 weeks ago observing a globular cluster
in Hercules and last week jupiter. Quite awesome structure actually but
for such a big thing I was not too impressed with the image.

They do have another one close by on a small wooden house which was
pointing to the moons surface last week. That was impressive! But then
again the moon is closer than a globular cluster. heheh

--
PMatos
Old October 27th 10, 02:41 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Paulo J. Matos

Mark Ayliffe writes:

Ah, this would be the one:
http://www.caa-cya.org/newversion/fg....php?counter=0 (second pic
down)

Yes, looks like it... so that's a C14, right?

--
PMatos
Old October 27th 10, 02:45 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Paulo J. Matos

Sorry for tracking you down online but what kind of telescope do you
have here?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.ay...s/BENQ1022.JPG

--
PMatos