Finding Uranus with binoculars

Old July 12th 10, 02:18 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
CJ

Default Finding Uranus with binoculars

Hi all,
Uranus is well placed near to Jupiter in the sky for the next few months.
I have used Cartes du Ciel to plot them and Uranus is the next brightest
object in a 5 degree field to Jupiter (naked eye view) if Jupiter is placed
at the bottom left hand of the field. It may help if you put Jupiter outside
the left hand side to locate Uranus so the glare of Jupiter does not hinder
the image of Uranus.

They are in line with each other ( same RA ) on 21/09/2010. So if you have
the patience and flair to plot them with respect to the background stars
during the next few months. The figures are for the current epoch and not
2000.
Date Jupiter RA Jupiter Declination Uranus
RA Uranus Declination
12/07/2010 0h 13m 41.3s +0º 02' 57.8" 0h 03m
-0º 28' 27.9"

26/07/2010 0h 14m 03.5s +0º 03' 08.9" 0h 02m
-0º 32' 26.6"

9/08/2010 0h 13m 09.7s -0º 10' 57.3" 0h 01m
-0º 39' 45.7"

21/09/2010 23h 56m 50.8s -2º 04' 58.6" 23h 56m
-1º16' 05.3"

Hope you find this of help in finding Uranus, I can vouch that even with a
60 mm refractor from my observations of 40 years ago it shows a disk and not
a star like image at 90 times magnification, however you must concentrate
hard to discern the disc. However binoculars will not show an extended
image. The advantage of using a small aperture is that bad seeing does not
affect the image as much as using a larger aperture.

CJ

Old August 24th 10, 11:26 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
BillyPIg

CJ,

Thanks for the information. I've tried several times in the past (well,
obviously!) to locate Uranus/Neptune with my WO Megrez 90, but have never
been successful. Will have a go tonight, if clear.

Pete K