Blocking Light with Dark Matter

Old February 6th 07, 09:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th

Default Blocking Light with Dark Matter

(G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote in news:9223-45C8D347-198
@storefull-3335.bay.webtv.net:

Ducky Brain We were talking inferred,and those photons have big
problems passing through the Earth's atmosphere,let alone pin pointing
their source.

Depends of the specific wavelength. BTW HST isn't the only telescope that
has done infrared from orbit.

http://irsa.ipac.caltech.edu/IRASdocs/iras.html

Ground based instruments (particularly those on high altitude sites) can
also do infrared observations at certain wavelengths where the attenuation
is not so bad.

These nebula also give of a lot of radio and microwave that is detected by
radiotelescopes on the ground.

In any case Barnard, who cataloged this nebula knew that it was actually a
nebula rather than an empty area without any infrared or radio
observations. He worked this out just by studying visible light
photographs.

Try to think what you are reading But I can't expect more
from the likes of a low brainer . Bert

Your pot looks rather more black than the kettle.

Klazmon.

Old February 6th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Phineas T Puddleduck

In article ,
Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th wrote:

(G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote in news:9223-45C8D347-198
@storefull-3335.bay.webtv.net:

Ducky Brain We were talking inferred,and those photons have big
problems passing through the Earth's atmosphere,let alone pin pointing
their source.

Depends of the specific wavelength. BTW HST isn't the only telescope that
has done infrared from orbit.

http://irsa.ipac.caltech.edu/IRASdocs/iras.html

Ground based instruments (particularly those on high altitude sites) can
also do infrared observations at certain wavelengths where the attenuation
is not so bad.

Yep

http://www.citebase.org/abstract?id=...o-ph%2F0509674

"We present observations that were carried out with the Two HUndred Micron
PhotometER (THUMPER) mounted on the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope (JCMT) in
Hawaii, at a wavelength of 200 um (frequency 1.5 THz). The observations utilise
a small atmospheric window that opens up at this wavelength under very dry
conditions at high-altitude observing sites. The atmosphere was calibrated
using the sky-dipping method and a relation was established between the optical
depth, tau, at 1.5 THz and that at 225 GHz: tau1.5THz = (95 +/- 10)*tau225GHz.
Mars and Jupiter were mapped from the ground at this wavelength for the first
time, and the system characteristics measured. A noise equivalent flux density
(NEFD) of ~65 +/- 10 Jy (1 sigma 1 second) was measured for the THUMPER-JCMT
combination, consistent with predictions based upon our laboratory
measurements. The main-beam resolution of 14 arcsec was confirmed and an
extended error-beam detected at roughly two-thirds of the magnitude of the main
beam. Measurements of the Sun allow us to estimate that the fraction of the
power in the main beam is ~15%, consistent with predictions based on modelling
the dish surface accuracy. It is therefore shown that the sky over Mauna Kea is
suitable for astronomy at this wavelength under the best conditions. However,
higher or drier sites should have a larger number of useable nights per year.
Comment: 7 pages, 8 figures, accepted by MNRAS"

Ok it is in its infancy but still ;-), plus technically you could argue its
sub-mm ;-)

--
-Coffee Boy- = Preferably white, with two sugars
Saucerheads - denying the blatantly obvious since 2000.
Old February 7th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.astronomy
John \C\

Default Puddle Drip is an idiot!

"Phineas T Puddleduck" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th wrote:

(G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote in

[...]

What a bunch of bull-crap!

Old February 10th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Scott Miller

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Dear Old time virtual friend Scott Miller I think we are saying just
about the same thing. True we know the heavy element "carbon" came out
of a super nova explosion. this snake shaped nebula is rich in carbon.
It is blocking light period. Carbon is black because it does not
reflect,but absorbs light. I do see some stars in its blackness so I
best assume they are in front of this snake nebula,and it don't take
much thinking to say this nebula is not to far from us. Like 500 LY
away from us. ok Your old time alt astronomy friend Bert

We are not saying the same thing - dark matter is not the same thing as
matter that appears dark, at least not in astronomy. That you confuse
the two is further proof of your lack of understanding of topics in that
field.
Old February 10th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Scott Miller

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Ducky Brain We were talking inferred,and those photons have big
problems passing through the Earth's atmosphere,let alone pin pointing
their source. Try to think what you are reading But I can't expect more
from the likes of a low brainer . Bert

The point of all this is that electromagnetic radiation can be detected
from these dark nebula. From radio waves we can trace the
concentrations of material within them, in the infrared (and Hubble is
not the only infrared capable telescope aloft and studies of these
nebula have been done with these other infrared scopes). But dark
matter does not emit electromagnetic radiation at any of the observable
bands.

So, in a blind attempt to stick one at Phineas, you actually shot
yourself in the foot, demonstrating again your lack of any real
scientific knowledge.
Old February 10th 07, 07:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Scott Miller old virtual friend and esteemed astronomy professor at LU
My definition of "dark matter" is that we can't detect it,and yet we are
clever enough to know it out masses visible matter at least ten to one.
Do you think all dark matter is in the micro realm(WIMPs)? I can make
that fit. You being an astronomer are probably only thinking of finding
"MACHOs That makes me a WIMP,and you a MACHO man. See Scott I even
put you in a better light. Well WIMP Or MARCHO they are still not
detected,so you Scott Miller can't use them. We did map the
universe and have been able to see the distribution of dark matter in
it. That is interesting. What I know about WIMPs I can relate to
neutrinos,and that is not enough to form a theory. I do link "dark
Energy" to the convex curving of space,but you read my posts an know my
"Concave & Convex theory". Oops This just jumped in Scott is the
destiny of the universe to become black? Nothing but black dwarfs? A
black stellar corpse. All this could happen in another 22 billion years
and that scares me Bert

Old February 10th 07, 09:28 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Scott Miller

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
[...]

The detection of dark matter has come from its gravitational influence
on galaxies and between galaxies, not from blocking light from those
galaxies, which was your assertion. We can determine the distribution
of the dark matter by the way visible matter is arranged.

As to WIMPs versus MACHOs, there have been recent constraints put on the
latter, again based on observation. Specifically, observational
searches for microlensing have put severe constraints on the types of
objects that could be dark matter.

If the universe is accelerating, as current observations suggest in
light of dark energy findings, then yes, even those galaxies we observe
today can be carried outside of our cosmic particle horizon while at the
same time matter in our galaxy is being locked up in less useful forms
from a star formation point of view and our galaxy will eventually
become dark.