Bright NOSS trios

Old July 11th 04, 07:39 AM
Patty Winter

Default Bright NOSS trios

In article ,
Ron Netzley wrote:
Tonight my wife and I again watched the Noss "Triplet" go over (directly
overhead) and we saw all three.

Yay! Pretty interesting, aren't they?

BTW, I forget, did you say earlier where you live?

Thanks again to Ed for bringing these current passes to everyone's
attention, and to Ted for the additional information.

Patty

Old July 11th 04, 08:20 AM
William R. Thompson

Ted Molczan wrote:

"IceBlue" wrote:
Using the Oribital Information Group website based at Goddard Space &
Flight Center I was unable to attain the TLE's for the NOSS Trios.

Can you tell me where I can get them from please?

They are tracked by hobbyists, who maintain precise orbital elements.
Heavens-Above is one of the web sites where our elements can be found. It
also produces predictions.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Just as a nitpick, heavens-above.com lists the NOSS 3-1 and 3-2
pairs as USA 160 (a), USA 160 (c), USA 173 (a) and USA 173(c).

--Bill Thompson

Old July 11th 04, 02:41 PM
Ron Netzley

Patt;
Palm Bay Florida,USA
Just South of the Canaveral Launch ctr by about 40 miles

Ron
Old July 11th 04, 02:41 PM
Ron Netzley

http://www.satobs.org/noss.html

I used this site to get info on the groups - then took their Space Command #
and put it in the "Pick your Satellite" section of 'Heavens Avove'
If you've (previously) put in your viewing Lat. and Long. Heavens Above will
give you the info needed to watch the passes from your viewing site.

Thanx to ALL ...
and enjoy!

Ron

Old July 11th 04, 02:48 PM
Ted Molczan

"William R. Thompson" wrote in message
Ted Molczan wrote:

"IceBlue" wrote:
Using the Oribital Information Group website based at Goddard Space &
Flight Center I was unable to attain the TLE's for the NOSS Trios.

Can you tell me where I can get them from please?

They are tracked by hobbyists, who maintain precise orbital elements.
Heavens-Above is one of the web sites where our elements can be found.

It
also produces predictions.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Just as a nitpick, heavens-above.com lists the NOSS 3-1 and 3-2
pairs as USA 160 (a), USA 160 (c), USA 173 (a) and USA 173(c).

Heavens-Above is using the official names, which are nothing more than
serial numbers. In the case of the above pairs, that is problematic because
for some reason, USSTRATCOM has acknowledged only one payload per launch,
even though it is obvious to anyone with tracking capability that there are
two. We know this, because in their first months in orbit, both payloads
made numerous manoeuvres until they achieved their present formations.

USSTRATCOM has designated a C object from both launches, described as
debris. The first and second generation NOSS generated one small piece of
operational debris upon depolyment of each triad memeber, too dim for
hobbyists to see. So, it is possible that the C object of the third
generation NOSS are debris, but most observers and analysts have assigned
one of the two payloads to it (we have to assign them so something).

NOSS (Naval Ocean Surveillance System) is a more descriptive name that many
observers and analysts have adopted. Over the years, the program has also
been known by a number of secret code names that leaked, such as White
Cloud, Parcae, Classic Wizard and Ranger.

Ted Molczan

Old July 11th 04, 05:54 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Ron Netzley wrote:
http://www.satobs.org/noss.html

I used this site to get info on the groups - then took their Space Command #
and put it in the "Pick your Satellite" section of 'Heavens Avove'

You can also do it all within Heavens Above. Just chose "Select a satellite
from the database," and put "NOSS%" in the "Satellite Name" field. Then
click on one of the results and select "Passes" from its information page.
(Although make sure that the one you've chosen doesn't say "No orbit data
currently available," or you won't be able to get passes for it. In the
case of the NOSS 2-1 trio, for example, don't pick NOSS 2-1(B).)

Patty