How many Black Holes are there?

Old November 21st 18, 12:39 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

Default How many Black Holes are there?

On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 10:20:50 AM UTC-8, The Starmaker wrote:
The Starmaker wrote:

How many Black Holes are there?

maybe yous people didn't understand the question...

How many Black Holes are there? "are there?"

"are there" means...in a place or position.

"are there"

How many Black Holes ... *are there*?

Look, I understand yous numbers guys like to say 'billions and billions'...

'billions and billions of earths', and 'billions and billions of black holes'...

but the question is...How many Black Holes are there?

You know, confirmed..

is it 10... or around 20? maybe 25??

Another guy who can't be bothered to look this up for himself, but would rather just make a wild-ass guess.

Here you go, Lazy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_holes

I count 139 on that page, including galaxies containing bit double and triple black holes.

Old November 21st 18, 04:21 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

The Starmaker wrote:

How many Black Holes are there?

maybe yous people didn't understand the question...

How many Black Holes are there? "are there?"

"are there" means...in a place or position.

"are there"

How many Black Holes ... *are there*?

Look, I understand yous numbers guys like to say 'billions and billions'...

'billions and billions of earths', and 'billions and billions of black holes'...

but the question is...How many Black Holes are there?

You know, confirmed..

is it 10... or around 20? maybe 25??

Another guy who can't be bothered to look this up for himself, but would rather just make a wild-ass guess.

Here you go, Lazy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_holes

I count 139 on that page, including galaxies containing bit double and triple black holes.

That link you provided reads:

This is an ordered list of the most massive black holes so far discovered (and probable candidates),

You would have to omit (probable candidates) since "probable candidates" you cannot confirm that which you have no proof of.

I would estimate there are over 100 probable candidates.

That leaves 10 balck holes... or around 20? or maybe even 25?? But certaintly not 130 since you didn't omit probable candidates.

There you go, Lazy...

In the interest of accuracy, the page says "This is a list of black holes (and stars considered probable candidates)". Note it says "stars" and not Supermassive black holes, which are definitely not individual stars.

How did you 'estimate' that there are over 100 probable candidates? Just make it up, as usual? There are only a few line-items that are listed as 'candidates'... and do you have a problem with the adjective 'probable'? You know what that means, right?

What's the difference, anyhow? The existence of black holes is beyond question, and it will not be very long before the growing body of evidence will confirm that there are uncountable numbers of them in the universe. Do you have evidence indicating otherwise? What prompted you to ask this question in the first place?
Old November 22nd 18, 12:08 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

The Starmaker wrote:

[...]

Okay Lazy, here it is on the line you provided:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_holes

Supermassive black holes and candidates

(then under it it reads: See also: List of most massive black holes and List of quasars)

Then, you put your mouse on the highlighted link:

List of most massive black holes

The link pop-up reads: This is an ordered list of the most massive black holes so far discovered (and probable candidates)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ve_black_holes

Here you go, Lazy...

So, what's your point? 'Probable candidates' is a strong statement, and I see where casually dismissed my question about how you 'estimated' that there were over 100 'probable candidates'?

The whole point is that there is a very long list of named black holes and there is very strong evidence that they number in the hundreds of millions if not many, many more than that!

In any event, your claim that there are less than 2 dozen black holes is shown to be incorrect... and if you would like many more confirming web pages, well, all you need to do is hunt for them... unless, of course, you are too lazy to do so.
Old November 23rd 18, 04:17 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

The Starmaker wrote:

[...]

List of most massive black holes

The link pop-up reads: This is an ordered list of the most massive black holes so far discovered (and probable candidates)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ve_black_holes

Here you go, Lazy...

So, what's your point? 'Probable candidates' is a strong statement,

Maybe you don't know what the word "Probable" means...it means no proof. How can you confirm something without proof?

Get a dictionary...

https://www.google.com/search?q=prob...om e&ie=UTF-8

prob·a·ble
adjective
1.
likely to be the case or to happen.
"it is probable that the economic situation will deteriorate further"
synonyms: likely, most likely, odds-on, expected, anticipated, predictable, foreseeable, ten to one;

Besides, in science there is no such thing as "proof"...

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+t...ome&ie=U TF-8

and I see where casually dismissed my question about how you 'estimated' that there were over 100 'probable candidates'?

The math is simple, you counted 139 black holes and I took away the 'probable candidates',

You cannot determine which ones are probable candidates... you are just making it up...

139 Supermassive black holes and candidates
- 25 confirmed
_________
114 'probable candidates'

There are over 100 'probable candidates' (they don't count).

Make it up as you go along...

and i didn't say two dozen...Here you go, Lazy...

OK, you said 25, not 2 dozen... big whup...