NGC 6700 A barred spirl in Lyra

Old December 10th 16, 08:47 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default NGC 6700 A barred spirl in Lyra

NGC 6700 is a barred spiral galaxy in Lyra about 1.75 degrees southwest of M57 and about 200 million light-years distant by redshift and 260 million light-years by Tully-Fisher measurements. I measure its size at 107,000 to 140,000 light-years depending on which distance you believe. I put it on my list as in the POSS plates it looked rather unsymmetrical. That isn't as strong in my image however. NED classifies it as SB(rs)c while the NGC project doesn't show the ring structure saying SBc. Seligman loves question marks so says SBc?. It was discovered by Édouard Stephan on August 17, 1873. While there are a few faint background galaxies in the image none had redshift data. With nothing but coordinates for a name and not even a magnitude I didn't annotate the image.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6700L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	544.0 KB
ID:	6453  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6700L4X10RGB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	6454
Old December 12th 16, 09:36 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

I wasn't aware of such a nice barred spiral in Lyra. I didn't even have it on my list even though I always keep an eye open for galaxies in the summer or winter sky.
Great image.

Stefan

NGC 6764 a Barred Spiral WA0CKY Astro Pictures 0 January 3rd 16 06:57 AM
ASTRO: NGC 271 a somewhat messed up barred spiral Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 1 June 19th 14 10:14 PM
ISS and Lyra Gadi Eidelheit Satellites 2 November 29th 11 02:21 PM
Barred galaxies mass distribution Hans Aberg Research 30 April 4th 07 10:40 PM
Galaxies, particularly the barred and irregular... Alan W. Craft Amateur Astronomy 2 August 30th 03 04:30 AM