ASTRO: Sh2-170

Old September 24th 16, 09:26 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Default ASTRO: Sh2-170

As my news-provider had a databank crash 2-3 month ago and still does not get any new messages for a.b.p.a I finally turned to spacebanter.com and found my account there working, when I last checked a while ago it said that my account was blocked.

We had almost unreal good weather in the second half of August und first half of September, in the second half of this period I had two telescopes at the same time on my rooftop terrace that were gathering data. Some nights also had exceptionally good transparency which made these nights even with moonlight better than average moonless nights.

I have been playing with my new ASI1600MC cool and 1600MM cool cameras. I bought the colour camera in May for my Celestron RASA to avoid filter changing by hand for colour images. As I was very pleased by the performance of the colour camera I also bought the b/w version. Of course it doesn't make better images than my SXpress Trius SX694 camera, but at least the chip is bigger and the low read noise allows for experiments with "lucky imaging".

Here's an image of Sharpless 2-170 in Cassiopeia, a bit below the much brighter NGC 7822.
To the upper left is the potential planetary nebula PK118+2.1, to the upper right the dark nebulae LDN 1262 und LDN 1263.
I have also included an inverted image of the Ha channel to show the faint nebulosity in this field.

Taken August 24 to 26 from my Berlin rooftop terrace 112x3 min Ha and 59x3 min OIII with ASI 1600MM cool, Celestron RASA on a G11 mount. I also added 120x1 min with the OSC ASI1600MC for more natural colours.

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sh2-170colourkleingut.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	6410  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sh2-170HaInvgut.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	6411
Old September 25th 16, 12:42 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

I've been hearing some good things about that CMOS camera. Low noise means it is well suited for NB work. I can't begin to reach read noise limit with my camera. Rather easy with this one.

Some have complained about banding. You seeing that issue?

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilge View Post

Old September 26th 16, 11:44 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0CKY View Post
Some have complained about banding. You seeing that issue?

Rick
I don't see any banding in my cameras. There is a bit of amp glow, but that can be calibrated out with a dark frame. With dark frame the cameras give very nice clean images.

Stefan