ASTRO: NGC 5514 Another train wreck

Old May 26th 12, 09:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 5514 Another train wreck

NGC 5514 is a colliding pair of galaxies in Bootes about 350 million
light-years away. NED classes NED01 as Sa and NED02 as Sb. The NGC
project only classifies the combination which it sees as Sab. I
classify them as a mess. NED shows a distance of 330 million light-years
for the combined entry for NGC 5519 but 350 million light-years for the
individual galaxies that make it up. I've seen this type of discrepancy
before. If anyone knows why please let me know and I'll pass it on. NGC
5514 would seem to find any of several of Arp's categories for plumed
galaxies or even that of a spiral galaxy with a high surface brightness
companion on an arm. Lots of possibilities here but Arp didn't include
it yet included several lesser examples for some reason. I didn't
realize the western plume existed when I planned for this image. It
wasn't until I went to process it a year later than I realized it was
there. I needed a lot more exposure time to pick it up very well. This
will have to do for now.

NGC 5519/5570 is to the southeast. It too has a similar redshift
putting it about the same distance as NGC 5514's components. Its
distorted arm may indicate it too tangled with NGC 5514 in the distant
past. It would fit Arp's category for a spiral with one heavy arm or
maybe a one armed spiral.

NGC 5519 is identified as NGC 5570 by NGC project saying "NGC 5570 is
probably WH's first observation of NGC 5519. His description reads,
"vF, forming an arch with 3 sts." NGC 5519 indeed forms an arch with
two stars west and southwest, and a third is superposed on the galaxy.
WH's observation puts N5570 21m 15s p, 0d 34' s of 31 Bootis. This is 6
minutes of time off the position of N5519. I think that the "21m" is a
transcription error and should read "27m." In that case, the RA as well
as the Dec and the description would match N5519. - Dr. Harold G.
Corwin, Jr."

Both NED and NGC Project classify it as Sa though it sure looks like it
has a bar to me.

I did it again. In the upper right of the image is a faint asteroid
trail. Checking the minor planet center I find nothing down past
magnitude 23 in this area on the night this was taken, March 28, 2011 at
2 a.m. UT. There are two much brighter ones out of the frame to the
north. Apparently I've missed finding another one by over a year.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5514L4X10RGB2X10X3.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	4102  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5514L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	4103  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5514L4X10RGB2X10X3CROP150.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	4104