Crop Circles from BBC helicopter footage

Old May 16th 11, 12:15 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

Default Crop Circles from BBC helicopter footage

I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on
Saturday night that one of their tracking aerial helicopter views of Old
Sarum, Wiltshire included by chance what looks to me like a genuine and
fairly complex crop circle at the bottom left corner of the frame.

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 16th 11, 12:49 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Giovanna Stefani

On Mon, 16 May 2011 12:15:37 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on
Saturday night that one of their tracking aerial helicopter views of Old
Sarum, Wiltshire included by chance what looks to me like a genuine and
fairly complex crop circle at the bottom left corner of the frame.

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

Regards,
Martin Brown

'faked', 'genuine', and 'natural'.

I wonder what is the difference between those terms in the present
context?

--
Gianna
buchan-meteo.org.uk

Old May 16th 11, 12:54 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Lawrence13

On May 16, 12:15*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on
Saturday night that one of their tracking aerial helicopter views of Old
Sarum, Wiltshire included by chance what looks to me like a genuine and
fairly complex crop circle at the bottom left corner of the frame.

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

Regards,
Martin Brown

If nothing else thanks for the link Martin I've been meaning to watch
that program . By the way I asked my mother what she thought about
corn circles and she blames them on ill fitting shoes.
Old May 16th 11, 01:08 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 16/05/2011 12:49, Giovanna Stefani wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2011 12:15:37 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on
Saturday night that one of their tracking aerial helicopter views of Old
Sarum, Wiltshire included by chance what looks to me like a genuine and
fairly complex crop circle at the bottom left corner of the frame.

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

'faked',

Faked in this context means a bunch of students or other pranksters
wearing planks on their shoes putting one over on crop circle watchers.
There have been some (in)famous examples since the late 70's.

'genuine', and 'natural'.

I wonder what is the difference between those terms in the present
context?

In this instance it doesn't look like there is any disturbance apart
from the crop circle itself. There are meteorological phenomena like
dust devils that could make these sort of patterns. And this one is
serendipitously in the frame of aerial footage for a history program.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 16th 11, 01:20 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On May 16, 1:15*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

iPlayer is not available outside the UK.
Old May 16th 11, 02:19 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_43_]

"Giovanna Stefani" wrote in message
| On Mon, 16 May 2011 12:15:37 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:
|
| I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
| been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on
| Saturday night that one of their tracking aerial helicopter views of Old
| Sarum, Wiltshire included by chance what looks to me like a genuine and
| fairly complex crop circle at the bottom left corner of the frame.
|
| The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
| programme with best overall view at 54:19:
|
| http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/
|
| The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
| to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
| boundaries. It looks natural enough...
|
| Regards,
| Martin Brown
|
| 'faked', 'genuine', and 'natural'.
|
| I wonder what is the difference between those terms in the present
| context?

There is a nice one on Google Earth, between Wayland's Smithy and
the Uffington White Horse.
Lat: 51°33'44.55"N
Long: 1°36'20.55"W

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg_(media)

This easter egg is a Tornado:
51°34'44.95"N
1°43'46.72"W

Crop circles are the continuation of a tradition dating from the Bronze Age,
if not earlier.

Long Man:
50°48'35.06"N
0°11'16.64"E

Old May 16th 11, 03:11 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Lawrence13

wrote:
I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on
Saturday night that one of their tracking aerial helicopter views of Old
Sarum, Wiltshire included by chance what looks to me like a genuine and
fairly complex crop circle at the bottom left corner of the frame.

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

Regards,
Martin Brown

The whole program about the hienous usurping of the English by William
and his adventurer gang coupled with the crop circle at Williams
stronghold Old Sarum proves conclusively that it was an Alien Invasion

WC....phone....home.
Old May 16th 11, 03:19 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Joe Egginton

On 16/05/2011 12:15, Martin Brown wrote:
I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on
Saturday night that one of their tracking aerial helicopter views of Old
Sarum, Wiltshire included by chance what looks to me like a genuine and
fairly complex crop circle at the bottom left corner of the frame.

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

Regards,
Martin Brown

I've always been of the opinion that most crop circles are fake, the few
that are genuine are probably something to do with local strong magnetic
fields.

Joe Egginton
Wolverhampton
175m asl
Old May 16th 11, 03:35 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Lawrence13

On May 16, 3:19*pm, Joe Egginton wrote:
[...]

175m asl- Hide quoted text -

I know up north they were due to Gracie Fields
Old May 16th 11, 03:42 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 16/05/2011 15:19, Joe Egginton wrote:
On 16/05/2011 12:15, Martin Brown wrote:
I am generally fairly sceptical about most crop circles as so many have
been faked. But I happened to notice on the Doomsday programme on

[snip]
The crop circle looks to be new with sharply defined edges as compared
to the tractor lines which are also visible where it turned at the field
boundaries. It looks natural enough...

I've always been of the opinion that most crop circles are fake, the few
that are genuine are probably something to do with local strong magnetic
fields.

Have to be one heck of a magnetic field to do that to straw!

Spiral whirlwinds touching down might well be the explanation. It would
be really nice if someone saw one being created and videoed it.

Regards,
Martin Brown