Daily Report #4745

Old November 26th 08, 04:50 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4745

DAILY REPORT****** #4745

PERIOD COVERED: 5am November 25 - 5am November 26, 2008 (DOY
*************************** 330/1000z-331/1000z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

WFPC2 10877

A Snapshot Survey of the Sites of Recent, Nearby Supernovae

During the past few years, robotic {or nearly robotic} searches for
supernovae {SNe}, most notably our Lick Observatory Supernova Search
{LOSS}, have found hundreds of SNe, many of them in quite nearby
galaxies {cz 4000 km/s}. Most of the objects were discovered before
maximum brightness, and have follow-up photometry and spectroscopy;
they include some of the best-studied SNe to date. We propose to
conduct a snapshot imaging survey of the sites of some of these nearby
objects, to obtain late-time photometry that {through the shape of the
light and color curves} will help reveal the origin of their lingering
energy. The images will also provide high-resolution information on
the local environments of SNe that are far superior to what we can
procure from the ground. For example, we will obtain color-color and
color-magnitude diagrams of stars in these SN sites, to determine the
SN progenitor masses and constraints on the reddening. Recovery of the
SNe in the new HST images will also allow us to actually pinpoint
their progenitor stars in cases where pre- explosion images exist in
the HST archive. This proposal is an extension of our successful Cycle
13 snapshot survey with ACS. It is complementary to our Cycle 15
archival proposal, which is a continuation of our long-standing
program to use existing HST images to glean information about SN
environments.

ACS/SBC 11110

Searching for Lyman Apha Emission from FUSE Lyman Continuum
Candidates

We have recently been granted time on FUSE to characterize the escape
fraction of hydrogen Lyman continuum (Lyc) photons from a
morphologically diverse set of star forming galaxies. The FUSE program
is designed to provide ~ 5 sigma detections of Lyc photons emitted
from star forming galaxies with escape fractions ~5%. With this
proposal we seek hydrogen Lyman alpha (Lya) observations of a
representative subset of the FUSE program targets to constrain the
observational relationship between Lyc, Lya, and hydrogen Balmer line
emission in these systems. Such observations explore the detailed
balance between the simple optically thin (Case A) and optically thick
(Case B) limits in recombination theory. The ultimate goal of this
program is to quantify the relationship between escaping Lya and Lyc
emission and the first structures that form in the early universe.

WFPC2 10880

The host galaxies of QSO2s: AGN feeding and evolution at high
luminosities

Now that the presence of supermassive black holes in the nuclei of
galaxies is a well established fact, other questions related to the
AGN phenomena still have to be answered. Problems of particular
interest are how the AGN gets fed, how the black hole evolves and how
the evolution of the black hole is related to the evolution of the
galaxy bulge. Here we propose to address some of these issues using
ACS/WFC + F775W snapshot images of 73 QSO2s with redshifts in the
range 0.3z0.4. These observations will be combined with similar
archival data of QSO1s and ground based data of Seyfert and normal
galaxies. First, we will investigate whether interactions are the most
important feeding mechanism in high luminosity AGNs. This will be done
in a quantitative way, comparing the asymmetry indices of QSO2 hosts
with those of lower luminosity AGNs and normal galaxies. Second, we
will do a detailed study of the morphology of the host galaxies of
both QSO types, to determine if they are similar, or if there is an
evolutionary trend from QSO2s to QSO1s. The results from this project
will represent an important step in the understanding of AGN
evolution, and may also introduce a substantial modification to the
Unified Model.

FGS 11943

Binaries at the Extremes of the H-R Diagram

We propose to use HST/Fine Guidance Sensor 1r to survey for binaries
among some of the most massive, least massive, and oldest stars in our
part of the Galaxy. FGS allows us to spatially resolve binary systems
that are too faint for ground-based, speckle or optical long baseline
interferometry, and too close to resolve with AO. We propose a
SNAP-style program of single orbit FGS TRANS mode observations of very
massive stars in the cluster NGC 3603, luminous blue variables, nearby
low mass main sequence stars, cool subdwarf stars, and white dwarfs.
These observations will help us to (1) identify systems suitable for
followup studies for mass determination, (2) study the role of
binaries in stellar birth and in advanced evolutionary states, (3)
explore the fundamental properties of stars near the main
sequence-brown dwarf boundary, (4) understand the role of binaries for
X-ray bright systems, (5) find binaries among ancient and nearby
subdwarf stars, and (6) help calibrate the white dwarf mass - radius
relation.

WFPC2 11130

AGNs with Intermediate-mass Black Holes: Testing the Black Hole-Bulge
Paradigm, Part II

The recent progress in the study of central black holes in galactic
nuclei has led to a general consensus that supermassive {10^6-10^9
solar mass} black holes are closely connected with the formation and
evolutionary history of large galaxies, especially their bulge
component. Two outstanding issues, however, remain unresolved. Can
central black holes form in the absence of a bulge? And does the mass
function of central black holes extend below 10^6 solar masses?
Intermediate-mass black holes {10^6 solar masses}, if they exist, may
offer important clues to the nature of the seeds of supermassive black
holes. Using the SDSS, our group has successfully uncovered a new
population of AGNs with intermediate-mass black holes that reside in
low-luminosity galaxies. However, very little is known about the
detailed morphologies or structural parameters of the host galaxies
themselves, including the crucial question of whether they have bulges
or not. Surprisingly, the majority of the targets of our Cycle 14
pilot program have structural properties similar to dwarf elliptical
galaxies. The statistics from this initial study, however, are really
too sparse to reach definitive conclusions on this important new class
of black holes. We wish to extend this study to a larger sample, by
using the Snapshot mode to obtain WFPC2 F814W images from a parent
sample of 175 AGNs with intermediate- mass black holes selected from
our final SDSS search. We are particularly keen to determine whether
the hosts contain bulges, and if so, how the fundamental plane
properties of the host depend on the mass of their central black
holes. We will also investigate the environment of this unique class
of AGNs.

WFPC2 11796

WFPC2 Cycle 16 Decontaminations and Associated Observations

This proposal is for the WFPC2 decons. Also included are instrument
monitors tied to decons: photometric stability check, focus monitor,
pre- and post-decon internals (bias, intflats, kspots, & darks), UV
throughput check, VISFLAT sweep, and internal UV flat check.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

*********************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

FGS GSacq************** 09***************** 09
FGS REacq************** 04***************** 04
OBAD with Maneuver **** 26***************** 26

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Old May 21st 11, 01:42 PM
Dimkah Dimkah is offline
Banned

The final goal of this program is to quantify the relationship between escaping Lya
and Lyc emission and the principal structures that assemble in the early universe.

DAILY REPORT #3900 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 20th 05 09:47 PM
DAILY REPORT #3899 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 20th 05 09:47 PM
DAILY REPORT #3898 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 20th 05 09:47 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM