Ot heartbreak

Old October 14th 09, 06:54 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Staup

Default Ot heartbreak

The following was forwarded to me by my son-in-law and as a dad and
grandfather I cannot help myself I am forwarding this every way I
can...please take a little time to help make this brave young girls wish
come true beyond even her dream....David

Riley Philpot is a 9 year old little girl who has been battling a rare form
of cancer since she was 6. Her cancer has returned and she is currently in
the hospital. Make A Wish Foundation was contacted and Riley's wish was not
a trip to Disney World. It is to have the mailman dump a bag of "a million"
Get Well cards at her door when she returns!! Please take the time to send
a Get Well card to Riley. Thank you so much! You do not have to know this
little girl to make this wish come true. If this was your child, and a
simple wish like this was asked, a stamp is not much. I hope that you smile
as you drop it in the mail. Please forward this to anyone who you think
will help this dream come true. I do not know when she will return from the
hospital, but let's attempt to have your card in the mail by October 16th.

Here is her name and address:

Riley Philpot

206 Slaney Loop Road

Winterville, NC 28590

And please keep her in your prayers as well.

Old October 16th 09, 12:16 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Chris.B[_2_]

On Oct 14, 7:54*pm, "David Staup" wrote:
The following was forwarded to me by my son-in-law and as a dad and
grandfather I cannot help myself I am forwarding this every way I
can...please take a little time to help make this brave young girls wish
come true beyond even her dream....David

I am reporting this as spam. A similar begging letter is running in a
parallel thread.
Old October 16th 09, 03:42 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Staup

"Chris.B" wrote in message
On Oct 14, 7:54 pm, "David Staup" wrote:
The following was forwarded to me by my son-in-law and as a dad and
grandfather I cannot help myself I am forwarding this every way I
can...please take a little time to help make this brave young girls wish
come true beyond even her dream....David

I am reporting this as spam. A similar begging letter is running in a
parallel thread.

wow I am just amazed at the rancor and hate this has caused.

let me tell you a short story... in 99 or 2000 I spent a month in Scotland
with 2 other americans (Business) one weekend we traveled to Glasgow for
some clubbing (bar hopping). there were people on the streets with cans for
donations for kids charities and each time I was approached I dropped a
couple of bucks worth into the can while the others with me, Scots included,
were saying "already gave". after several tins had been added to by me one
of the group asked "why do you give each time" my answer was only this...."
it's for the kids"
I have absolutely no guilt in this "spamming" if that's what you want to
think it is because ....It's for a kid ... so blow it out your ass

Old October 16th 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Roger Hunt

David Staup wrote
"Chris.B" wrote in message
On Oct 14, 7:54 pm, "David Staup" wrote:
The following was forwarded to me by my son-in-law and as a dad and
grandfather I cannot help myself I am forwarding this every way I
can...please take a little time to help make this brave young girls wish
come true beyond even her dream....David

I am reporting this as spam. A similar begging letter is running in a
parallel thread.

wow I am just amazed at the rancor and hate this has caused.

What?
let me tell you a short story... in 99 or 2000 I spent a month in Scotland
with 2 other americans (Business) one weekend we traveled to Glasgow for
some clubbing (bar hopping). there were people on the streets with cans for
donations for kids charities and each time I was approached I dropped a
couple of bucks worth into the can while the others with me, Scots included,
were saying "already gave". after several tins had been added to by me one
of the group asked "why do you give each time" my answer was only this...."
it's for the kids"
I have absolutely no guilt in this "spamming" if that's what you want to
think it is because ....It's for a kid ... so blow it out your ass

You appear to confuse practical help with sentimentality.
I do volunteer work for a local community charity and give 10-15 hours
a week of my time, but they don't get any money off me, not even the
poor little kids.
I'm a heartless ******* aren't I?
--
Roger Hunt
Old October 16th 09, 08:02 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark McIntyre[_2_]

David Staup wrote:
"Chris.B" wrote in message
On Oct 14, 7:54 pm, "David Staup" wrote:
The following was forwarded to me by my son-in-law and as a dad and
grandfather I cannot help myself I am forwarding this every way I
can...please take a little time to help make this brave young girls wish
come true beyond even her dream....David

I am reporting this as spam. A similar begging letter is running in a
parallel thread.

wow I am just amazed at the rancor and hate this has caused.

I'm amazed at the number of people that think this is a real story.

Its a viral email thats been going around for literally decades. It gets
updated periodically so that the age, illness, gender, location etc of
the subject fit in with some current ongoing issue. I've even seen
versions in print-form. Please don't fall for it.

let me tell you a short story...

let me augment it

couple of bucks worth into the can while the others with me, Scots included,
were saying "already gave".

I give regularly through my payroll. The recipients benefit from a
pretax donation, and my company doubles it, benefiting them even more.

it's for the kids"

So the collectors alleged. They would however have been far better to
hand out Gift-aid forms and ask donors to give a quid a month via GAYE.

I have absolutely no guilt in this "spamming" if that's what you want to
think it is because ....It's for a kid ...

Unfortunately, its not.
Old October 16th 09, 08:55 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Staup

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
David Staup wrote:
"Chris.B" wrote in message
[...]

The original request came through my son in law from a fraternity brother he
knows and who is one of the young ladies doctors...you are of course allowed
to believe what you want... but I ask YOU why would there not have been a
request for a donation if this was anything more than as presented ???

it must truley suck to see the world through your eyes You have my sympathy
and pity

I sent a card and personally feel good about ... and even if I later find it
IS a scam will still feel better for having made a very small sacrafice in
the hope of brightening a childs life.

Old October 16th 09, 10:02 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Staup

"Roger Hunt" wrote in message
David Staup wrote
"Chris.B" wrote in message
[...]

Roger,
I'm a heartless ******* aren't I?

of course not... giving of ones time is more of a commitment and shows just
the opposite... My wife and I gave approximately 100 hours per month before
I was disabled and also donated through payroll deductions. I understand
others might not be able to give as much ...giving is a personal choice
....tis only those who can and don't that I would consider heartless

my only question is this...do you do your volunteer work because you're
sentimental or because you enjoy helping???

help comes in many forms and sometimes it's only a small sentimental gesture
that helps the most.

what is with you people? jeeze

sorry that's actually two questions

Old October 16th 09, 10:55 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark McIntyre[_2_]

David Staup wrote:
The original request came through my son in law from a fraternity brother he
knows and who is one of the young ladies doctors...you are of course allowed
to believe what you want...

I'm sorry to remain cynical but the request is quite often said to come
from a friend of a friend who knows someone who saw it, thats part of
the cleverness.

I suggest you read this page:
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/jasmine-t...rity-hoax.html
and this one
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/search.ph..._query=donated

but I ask YOU why would there not have been a
request for a donation if this was anything more than as presented ???

You don't understand the concept of a viral email. The purpose is simply
to pollute the email system with billions of messages forwarded with
good intentions. Another common one is fake warnings about some sort of
scam.

it must truley suck to see the world through your eyes You have my sympathy
and pity

I suggest you visit a taxidermist.
Old October 21st 09, 07:39 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Chris.B[_2_]

David,

You protest too much.

Get off your high horse and drink your milk.

Next time a beggar tries to con some money out of you, do the decent
thing.

Go into a baker and buy them a roll or a bun.

I hope you survive the experience! :-)