Arp 113 A cluster of bright galaxies

Old April 13th 09, 07:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Arp 113 A cluster of bright galaxies

Arp 113 is also in the Arp class "Elliptical or Elliptical-like Galaxies
close to perturbing spirals". In fact it's the first entry in that
class. There are so many galaxies in this grouping I don't know which
are the perturbing spirals! The entire group is larger than my field
though Arp only was concerned with the dense core. It is known as the
VV166 group with 15 members. VV stands for; Vorontsov-Velyaminov
Interacting Galaxies. The group's average distance is 296 MLY Many of
the members are NGC galaxies. I've attached an annotated small image of
the core to help identify this region. The galaxies, their
classification (when known, "n/a" when not available at NED) and their
red shift distance in millions of light years is in the table below.

NGC 67 E 288
NGC 67A E 269
NGC 68 SA0 239
NGC 69 SB(s)0 290
NGC 70 SB(s)0 311
NGC 71 SA0- pec 290
NGC 72 SB(rs)ab 316
NGC 72A E3 291
NGC 74 n/a 308
SRGb 062.050 n/a 326

Other galaxies in the image with red shift data:
CGCG 499-103 below SRGb 062.050 n/a 264 MLY
CGCG 499-101 by bright yellow star upper right n/a 284 MLY
CGCG 499-100 blue galaxy beyond CGCG 449-101 at upper edge Scd 206 MLY
CGCG 499-099 blue spiral upper right corner S? 272 MLY
NGC 76 Lower left edge S? 309 MLY

The galaxy just left of NGC 72A isn't listed by NED, SIMBAD or SUPERLEDA
that I could find. Nor were most of the other galaxies in the full image.

Arp's image:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp113.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=10x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

The Lum flats for this image were awful and I didn't catch it before
cleaning the filters so no way to redo them. Color flats were fine so I
stacked lum and color frames to make a pseudo lum in which the flat
problems were somewhat reduced by the good color data. Color by itself
was too weak to make a pseudo flat without the lum frames. Background
is unusually dark to hide the flat problems. Fortunately the area
around the center of the cluster was mostly free of flat issues. I'll
add this to the ever growing retake file for next year but it is lost in
the sun for now. Red frames were somewhat hit by a haze as well. I had
to do a lot of compensating for that as well. It's amazing what you can
salvage when you have to!

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP113-NGC68-70-71L10X10RGB2X10r2.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	2385  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP113-NGC68-70-71L10X10RGB2X10r2-ID.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2386