ASTRO: Arp 118

Old April 11th 09, 09:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 118

Arp 118 reminds me a lot of Arp 244 I imaged two years ago also known as
the Antenna Galaxies
http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...ntid=576&stc=1 (yes I
know it needs reprocessing). Though there are no long tidal tails and
only one of the galaxies is a spiral. This pair is nearly 4 times more
distant at just under 400 million light years but the left spiral shows
the same loop of knots along one edge that NGC 4038, the upper spiral in
the antenna galaxies shows.

There seems to be glitch in the NGC catalog as the left member of Arp
118 carries two NGC numbers 1141 and 1143. The right member also has
two numbers 1142 and 1144. Considering the catalog is supposed to be in
right ascension order (at the time compiled - precession has altered
things slightly for widely separated galaxies) this shouldn't happen.
Unfortunately, the website I used to investigate such errors no longer
exits. I haven't tried the Wayback Machine, it probably has the data.
Most sources use 1143 and 1144 so I will too.

NGC 1143 (right galaxy) is classed as S0 pec (Ring A) and NGC 1144 as S
pec (Ring B). Arp though has them under his "Elliptical or
Elliptical-like Galaxies close to perturbing spirals". I assume 1143 is
the elliptical-like galaxy and 1144 the perturbing spiral. Though it
appears to me its the "perturbing spiral" that has been most perturbed.
It's arms are wildly distorted and then there's that blue arc of
monster star clusters on the side toward the other galaxy.

There are two other possible members of this group but they appear to be
staying just far enough away not to be distorted -- yet. One is LEDA
1150350 to the upper right of the other two. Just above NGC 1144 (left
galaxy) is a near star-like blue galaxy SDSS J025512.06-001032.9 with a
red shift distance that puts it at the same distance and thus likely a
dwarf member of the group.

At the bottom of the image just slightly left of Arp 118 is a small
spiral SDSS J025518.00-001824.7 with no distance data. Just to its
right is a blue "star". It is listed as a galaxy SDSS
J025516.81-001824.1 at a red shift distance of 1.65 billion light years.
Obviously not a member of the group!

At the very top of the page left of center is a galaxy with two faint
loops for arms one above and one below the core. They must be due to
some interaction in the past. It is 2MASX J02552344-0000311 but I can
find no data on it. The fact it is a 2MASX galaxy means it was found
due to its high infrared emission, a sign of possible massive star
formation hidden in thick dust clouds. It is just below a trio of
rather bright stars, leftmost the brightest. To its right and right
against the upper edge is the spiral galaxy MCG +00-08-044 at 545
million light years.

There are two asteroids in the image as well though due to my processing
to best show the structure of Arp 118 they are rather faintly seen. The
one above Arp 118 half way to the top and a bit right of the group is
(42989) 1999 TO245 at magnitude 18.6 slightly further right but only
slightly higher than Arp 118 is (47716) 2000 DQ25 at magnitude 19.3.

Arp's image is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp118.jpeg

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP118NGC1143-4L4X10rgb2x10x3.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	2383
Old April 13th 09, 09:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Adriano

One of my favorites! excellent imaging on this one.

Rick Johnson wrote:

Arp's image is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp118.jpeg

Rick

Adriano
http://www.edmar-co.com/adriano/

34°14'11.7"N
Old April 21st 09, 11:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, very good detail in the left of the two galaxies. I also like the
galaxy at the upper limit of the picture, amazing how good the spiral
structure of this tiny galaxy can be seen in your image.

Stefan

ter.com...