ASTRO: Arp 112 A trio of weird galaxies

Old April 10th 09, 08:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 112 A trio of weird galaxies

Arp 112 is a triple galaxy group classed by Arp as "Elliptical and
elliptical like galaxies with repelling arms." How that applies to this
weird group I don't know. I placed Arp 112 well to the right of center
to pick up another rather odd galaxy at the upper left hiding behind a
star. It is CGCG 498-067 and is classed as a S0? galaxy. This seems
very wrong. S0 galaxies have no or very weak spiral structure and
usually appear as round spheres or spindle like depending on our viewing
angle. This looks like a rather nice face on Sb spiral with rather well
defined arms. I don't understand the discrepancy. It is about 212
million light years away based on red shift. Just a bit farther than
Arp 112 so likely part of the same group.

Arp 112's trio of galaxies from left to right are KUG 2359+311 with no
red shift data. KUG stands for Kiso Ultraviolet Galaxy Catalogue
indicating it is a strong emitter of ultraviolet light. Usually a sign
of massive star formation. It looks like an arc but is classed simply
as a spiral galaxy, not even a peculiar one. Sure looks peculiar to me.
The center galaxy is NGC 7806 with a red shift distance of 203 million
light years and is classed as SA(rs)bc? Pec. While tidally distorted it
doesn't appear as peculiar as its companion to the east. The class
indicates it has structures of both a standard spiral and a ring galaxy.
Apparently the ring refers to the outer football shaped bright edge
around much of the galaxy. The rightmost galaxy is NGC 7805 at 205
million light years per its red shift. It is classed as SAB0 pec but
has no ring designation yet one is quite prominent in my image. That I
do find as peculiar. Its class would indicate it has elements of a
standard spiral and a barred spiral with little dust or arm structure.
Hence Arp's elliptical like reference. It also has the color of an
elliptical as well.

Nearly all the other galaxies are either anonymous or have little data.
The only one worth mentioning is the blue galaxy southwest of Arp 112.
It has the rather rare designation NPM1G +31.0507. This comes from
the Lick "Northern Proper Motion program 1st list of Galaxies. Don't
ask, I never heard of it either. Arp 112 is located in Pegasus not far
from Arp 98 and right beside Alpha Andromedae, Alphoratz, the lower left
corner star of the "Great Square of Pegasus" for those in the northern
hemisphere that is. Arp's photo of it is at
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp112.jpeg

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP112NGC 7805-06L4X10RGB2X10X3R.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	2382