Of moon and tides

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 31st 18, 02:16 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Default Of moon and tides

A quirk of celestial mechanics.
As the last blood-red , blue-moon, super-moon was 31 March 1866 we'll
have to wait 55458 days for the next coincidence of the tides in the
channel , presumably.
I wonder what conjuction of tidal harmonics gives a 55,458 day repeat.

The high tides in ports of a large part of the English channel today are
all the same time. I originally thought there was a problem with big-data
http://www.ntslf.org/storm-surges/la...ast?port=Dover
http://www.ntslf.org/storm-surges/la...?port=Newhaven
http://www.ntslf.org/storm-surges/la...ort=Portsmouth

And from the UK Hydrographic office, high tide times today
Portsmouth,10:53, 23:24
Newhaven, 10:43 , 23:17
Dover, 10:44, 23:09