SN 2016bau in NGC 3684 before and after animation

Old April 10th 16, 08:39 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default SN 2016bau in NGC 3684 before and after animation

The supernova 2016bau was discovered by Ron Arbour in the galaxy Arp 27, also known as NGC 3631, on the night of March 13, 2016UT. The galaxy is located in Ursa Major about 60 to 70 million light-years from earth. I measure the supernova at magnitude 15.1. I originally took a picture of this galaxy in 2010. Combining that with a current image taken April 5UT I made the before and after animation. It is a type 1b supernova, a massive star that explodes long after losing its outer envelope of hydrogen.

Like the previous SN I combined the original image, taken March 5, 2010, with sucker hole images of the galaxy on April 5, 2016UT. Since my processing from back in 2010 was poor I reprocessed the original to some extent but it appears conditions were poor that night. In fact by adding in the two luminance sucker hole images I actually improved it some. The color data was much better than the original so was used to color both the before and after animation except for the portion covered by the SN glare. That had to use original data.

The original post is he http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=168028 . You can see the improvement. Looks like I need to retake it entirely if the weather and seeing ever allows.

Sucker hole image with less cloud issues than I had for the NGC 3184 super nova data:

LX200R @ f/10, LRGB=2x10' (L cut short by clouds), STL-11000XM Paramount ME

Link to the animation: prairieastronomyclub.org/astrophotos/SN3631.GIF

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC3631SN_FULL.JPG
Views:	890
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	6183

Last edited by WA0CKY : April 27th 16 at 08:39 AM.