Meteor shower, 00:30 1.1.2010

Old January 1st 10, 02:18 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
A.Lee

Default Meteor shower, 00:30 1.1.2010

Hello, did anyone else see the meteor shower around 00:30 last night in
the English Midlands?

I havent seen the like before, a single light point, no tail, travelling
far faster than a jet, coming from the horizon, then just fading, before
the oppositie horizon. Probably 15 or 20 meteors in 10 minutes.

Most were on a NE- SW trajectory, but we also saw 3 others going SE to
SW.

Alan.

Old January 1st 10, 04:44 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Newshound

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Hello, did anyone else see the meteor shower around 00:30 last night in
the English Midlands?

I havent seen the like before, a single light point, no tail, travelling
far faster than a jet, coming from the horizon, then just fading, before
the oppositie horizon. Probably 15 or 20 meteors in 10 minutes.

Most were on a NE- SW trajectory, but we also saw 3 others going SE to
SW.

Alan.

From the horizon sounds more like fireworks to me. But not going to the
opposite horizon? Longest arc I've ever seen was around 90 degrees (and that
split into two parts).

Old January 3rd 10, 11:07 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
A.Lee

newshound wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Hello, did anyone else see the meteor shower around 00:30 last night in
the English Midlands?
I havent seen the like before, a single light point, no tail, travelling
far faster than a jet, coming from the horizon, then just fading, before
the oppositie horizon. Probably 15 or 20 meteors in 10 minutes.

From the horizon sounds more like fireworks to me. But not going to the
opposite horizon? Longest arc I've ever seen was around 90 degrees (and that
split into two parts).

They are certainly not fireworks, far too long in the air, and travelled
a long distance.
From other reports, it appears that they could have been chinese
lanterns.
I have still to be convinced. They seemed to be travelling far too fast
for something in the wind, with a quite bright light, but from web pages
about them, they are regularly mistaken for meteors.

Alan.
Old January 3rd 10, 12:45 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
jim

newshound wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Hello, did anyone else see the meteor shower around 00:30 last night in
the English Midlands?

I havent seen the like before, a single light point, no tail, travelling
far faster than a jet, coming from the horizon, then just fading, before
the oppositie horizon. Probably 15 or 20 meteors in 10 minutes.

Most were on a NE- SW trajectory, but we also saw 3 others going SE to
SW.

Alan.

From the horizon sounds more like fireworks to me. But not going to the
opposite horizon? Longest arc I've ever seen was around 90 degrees (and that
split into two parts).

We were travelling Northwards on the M18 (or it might have been the M62
by that time) around 8.30pm on New Year's Eve and saw something similar
- yellowy-orange lights travelling NE-SW, fast (or slow and low, hard
to tell since I was doing 70-ish), not jets/helicopters or other
aircraft (no red/blue beacons). Definitely not meteors. Chinese lanterns
was my guess as well, although something akin to St. Elmo's Fire is
possible I suppose. Air was cold and dry, good static conditions.

Jim
--
http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK
Please help save Bletchley Park - sign the petition for
Old January 3rd 10, 01:25 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Sao 67174

"A.Lee" ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
newshound wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Hello, did anyone else see the meteor shower around 00:30 last night in
the English Midlands?
I havent seen the like before, a single light point, no tail,
travelling
far faster than a jet, coming from the horizon, then just fading,
before
the oppositie horizon. Probably 15 or 20 meteors in 10 minutes.

From the horizon sounds more like fireworks to me. But not going to the
opposite horizon? Longest arc I've ever seen was around 90 degrees (and
that
split into two parts).

They are certainly not fireworks, far too long in the air, and travelled
a long distance.
From other reports, it appears that they could have been chinese
lanterns.
I have still to be convinced. They seemed to be travelling far too fast
for something in the wind, with a quite bright light, but from web pages
about them, they are regularly mistaken for meteors.

Alan.

If they was meteors they can to be members of the new shower
of Zheta Cepheids origined by P/2006 T1 (Levy) comet

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=P%2F2006+T1&orb=1

this shower should have the peak around 1° January, it should have a
outburst the 1° January 2012 when the comet shall be very near at the
Earth. Read more in archive of Meteorobs Ml

http://www.meteorobs.org/

Best greetings.
Sao 67174

Old January 3rd 10, 04:23 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Newshound

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
newshound wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Hello, did anyone else see the meteor shower around 00:30 last night in
the English Midlands?
I havent seen the like before, a single light point, no tail,
travelling
far faster than a jet, coming from the horizon, then just fading,
before
the oppositie horizon. Probably 15 or 20 meteors in 10 minutes.

From the horizon sounds more like fireworks to me. But not going to the
opposite horizon? Longest arc I've ever seen was around 90 degrees (and
that
split into two parts).

They are certainly not fireworks, far too long in the air, and travelled
a long distance.
From other reports, it appears that they could have been chinese
lanterns.
I have still to be convinced. They seemed to be travelling far too fast
for something in the wind, with a quite bright light, but from web pages
about them, they are regularly mistaken for meteors.

Alan.

Agree with what you say about chinese lanterns, these are *very* slow in
comparison to meteors. They do come in clusters though.

Old January 5th 10, 08:15 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
jochta

Jim wrote:
newshound wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message

Hello, did anyone else see the meteor shower around 00:30 last night in
the English Midlands?

I havent seen the like before, a single light point, no tail, travelling
far faster than a jet, coming from the horizon, then just fading, before
the oppositie horizon. Probably 15 or 20 meteors in 10 minutes.

Most were on a NE- SW trajectory, but we also saw 3 others going SE to
SW.

Alan.

From the horizon sounds more like fireworks to me. But not going to the
opposite horizon? Longest arc I've ever seen was around 90 degrees (and that
split into two parts).

We were travelling Northwards on the M18 (or it might have been the M62
by that time) around 8.30pm on New Year's Eve and saw something similar
- yellowy-orange lights travelling NE-SW, fast (or slow and low, hard
to tell since I was doing 70-ish), not jets/helicopters or other
aircraft (no red/blue beacons). Definitely not meteors. Chinese lanterns
was my guess as well, although something akin to St. Elmo's Fire is
possible I suppose. Air was cold and dry, good static conditions.

Jim

Definitely Chinese lanterns IMO. Let off to celebrate the New Year. The
timing of 00:30 on the 1st is too much of a coincidence. Plus the colour
and clustering.

What meteor shower? [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 7 August 15th 07 02:06 AM
Meteor shower Margret Misc 17 May 21st 05 02:17 PM
meteor shower. Don McDonald Amateur Astronomy 12 February 5th 04 03:04 AM