BBC NEWS | Wales | Partial street lights switch-off

Old November 16th 09, 09:29 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Default BBC NEWS | Wales | Partial street lights switch-off

A third of a county's street lighting could be switched off for up
five hours per night to say money.

Carmarthenshire council is looking at plans to turn off one-in-three
lights in residential areas and two-in-three on highways from 1230 GMT
to 0530 GMT.

A report says turning off 6,000 out of 18,337 lights could save
£67,000.

More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8363321.stm
Old November 16th 09, 11:21 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Kev Lawrence

wrote in message
A third of a county's street lighting could be switched off for up
five hours per night to say money.

Carmarthenshire council is looking at plans to turn off one-in-three
lights in residential areas and two-in-three on highways from 1230 GMT
to 0530 GMT.

A report says turning off 6,000 out of 18,337 lights could save
£67,000.

More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8363321.stm

That's good news, and a good start.
Now for the other £134k worth...

Kev

Old November 17th 09, 08:53 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Yokel[_2_]

"Kev Lawrence" wrote in message

| wrote in message
| A third of a county's street lighting could be switched off for up
| five hours per night to say money.
|
| Carmarthenshire council is looking at plans to turn off one-in-three
| lights in residential areas and two-in-three on highways from 1230 GMT
| to 0530 GMT.
|
| A report says turning off 6,000 out of 18,337 lights could save
| £67,000.
|
| More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8363321.stm
|

| That's good news, and a good start.
| Now for the other £134k worth...

Well, how about that.

Until the 1980s this always used to be the case. I can clearly remember
when streetlights on residential roads (not one in three but *all* of them
except those on main roads) went off sometime between midnight and 1am, both
in the town where I was born and the village we moved to in 1976.

Then someone said we should leave the streetlights on all night because it
would cut crime. So how much *has* crime dropped since the early 1980s when
the streetlights were first turned on all night? And then we did not have
the "LED" technology which means if you want to go out in the early hours
you can now have bright, light torches which use much less battery power
than the old type.

So, what goes around comes around...
--
- Yokel -

"Yokel" posts via a spam-trap account which is not read.