ASTRO: First light tests, Baader 7nm Halpha filter (50.8mm)

Old March 21st 07, 05:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: First light tests, Baader 7nm Halpha filter (50.8mm)

I recently got a chance to use my new 50.8mm Baader Planetarium 7nm
Ha filter. It works great and what a deal at about $325 based on
current exchange rates.

I shot two images with it on Thursday night last week in so so
seeing: one of The Crab (4 x 30 minutes) and one of M82 ( 5 x 30
minutes). All were shot with the home built 18" f/12.6 classical cass
on the Ca 2000 AP1200GTO using the CM10 camera with focal reducer
(F=3366mm approx).

Next tests will be on the AP180EDT refractor, but I have a few more
long focal length targets to use them with for now.

I really like the initial results. The images aren't so amazing in
terms of sharpness, hard to do that in 4+" seeing, but the filters
work really well, especially for the money.

As I understand it they have dual cavity construction which provides
a higher "Q" that single cavity/colored glass designs. But they are
priced very attractively, presumably because Baader makes them in-
house.

Anyway, I am jazzed to see such a nice product for such a low price.
As I understand it they will be producing 50MM square ones too for
the new big format sensors and I was told they would also be priced
aggressively, but I am not sure of the price.

Here are the images:

my favorite of the two, M82
http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m82...er_ha_page.htm

Crab:
http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m1_...er_ha_page.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baader_m82_redo_5x30min_vga.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	544  Click image for larger version

Name:	baader_crab_4x30min_vga.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	545
Old March 21st 07, 06:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I thought you preferred filters about half that band width. Though you
won't see them anywhere near that price. Anyway the pictures look good
to me. Maybe it is the steeper skirts you imply by the higher Q.

Rick

Old March 21st 07, 01:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Richard,

good to see that the Baader filter works as well as it looks from your
images. I should really get myself one of them, they are quite cheap here in
germany (a nice change from the stuff that is made in the US, which is sold
here for twice the money it costs in the US).

Stefan

et...

Old March 21st 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
I thought you preferred filters about half that band width. Though you
won't see them anywhere near that price. Anyway the pictures look good to
me. Maybe it is the steeper skirts you imply by the higher Q.

Rick

I like good products priced fairly Rick.

I have no objection to using wider filters, provided they work well and are
priced fairly.

Unfortunately until I found the Baader, the only filters I have found in the
past that met those criteria are Custom Scientific.

The Baader are roughly twice as wide and cost about half as much as the
Custom Sci. That's fair to me.

They are also dual cavity designs and have very good Q, unlike some other
designs being promoted.

Baader could have priced his filters the same as the other guys and pocketed
$300 more per filter and the fact that he did not is impressive in my
opinion.

My next test shots will include a bright star off axis in the image to see
how they perform under less than ideal circumstances.

For bright skies I still expect the narrower filters to have an edge with
contrast. Many people seem happy with wider passbands if if they can get the
filters for 45% of the price of other brands and they work better, which
these seem to do, then it is a no-brainer what to buy in my assessment.

Old March 21st 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
Richard,

good to see that the Baader filter works as well as it looks from your
images. I should really get myself one of them, they are quite cheap here
in
germany (a nice change from the stuff that is made in the US, which is
sold
here for twice the money it costs in the US).

and based on what I have seen at least one of the ones sold in the US is
really challenged from a bang for the buck perspective.

not a bad product but when the price is considered it stinks in my book.