ASTRO: NGC 1530

Old September 22nd 08, 07:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 1530

I took this one a couple months ago, processed it then forgot it until
Stefan's post of another galaxy at 75 degrees brought it back into my
memory banks. I can't image north of 70 degrees due to my "Polaris
Tree" It blocks the sky for 20 degrees south and east of Polaris and
about 25 degrees west. Of course that 45 degree (minimum) obstruction
goes down to the northern horizon. But there is one gap in this. A
June storm tore out a large limb leaving a hole. Its only about 15 to
20 minutes of time in size and at 75 degrees about 7 hours before
culmination. I'd always wanted to image this galaxy due to its likeness
to the more commonly imaged NGC 3718. But knew I couldn't due to its
declination. The tornadic winds changed that. With a lot of planning
last July I determined when it would be in that storm created hole. I
could only get one 10 minute frame a night though sometimes pushed it to
2 as weather was a problem and I was quickly losing the hole. The sky
was moving west faster than the sky was getting dark earlier so it soon
was going to be past the hole before dark and that meant I had to work
fast. The result is a lot of pine needles adding some very
"interesting" diffraction effects to the stars. Since I took the color
frames different nights and they hit different needles as the wind moved
the branches differently each night, the diffraction pattern of each
color frame was different. So there are come weird color effects around
the brightest stars. It's amazing how fast nature heals. That hole has
closed considerably since July as branches grow toward the light that
hole now lets in. It is noticably smaller in only 2 months time.

As I mentioned NGC 1530 is very similar to NGC 3718 but twice as far
away at a bit over 100 million light years. Since its angular size is
only slightly smaller it must be a much larger galaxy. It also has to
very interesting dust lanes in the bar that turn to a spiral structure
as they approach the nucleus. In fact the core appears to be a very
tiny spiral galaxy and the bar stars beyond this mini galaxy. But
unlike NGC 3718 there's no Hickson group nearby nor any candidate for
what caused the arms to distort like they have.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' binned 2x2, RGB=2x10' binned 3x3,
STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC1530L5X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	2191
Old September 23rd 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great picture Rick, great effort to not only dodge clouds but also needles.
This is one of my favourite "overlooked" objects, there aren't too many
pictures of it to be found.
I like those northern galaxies as they stay away from the horizon murk and
tracking accuracy is not an issue near the pole.
I have collected some of them at
http://www.slilge.de/GalaxienNordpol/index.html

Stefan

ter.com...