ASTRO: M98

Old May 29th 07, 03:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M98

This is another galaxy from the Virgo group with a blue shift, just not
as blue shifted as M90 I posted a couple days ago. NED's notes seem
divided on whether it is free of the cluster or not with a slight
majority saying it is still a member. Problem is we can't get a reading
on the speed it is moving across our field of view. With only the
radial velocity its true velocity is relative to the cluster is still
vague.

There's a catalog debate about the identities of the two other "large"
galaxies in the field. Uranometria and my version of The Sky (6) says
the one below and a bit to the left (the nice face on spiral) is two
galaxies. Both show two galaxies plotted at nearly the same position.
NGC 4186 and NGC 4192B. NED gives both designations to one location but
otherwise agrees to the two NGC names for the same galaxy. Note M98 is
NGC 4192 so the 4186 designation seems wrong as it is east of 4192 and
should have a higher number not lower. NED, The Sky and Uranometria say
the faint face on spiral down and to the right is NGC 4192A. But when I
check other sources, including Simbad, they say 4192A is NGC 4186 and
don't list a 4192A at all but do list 4192B same as NED, Uranometria and
The Sky for the brighter one. So which one is NGC 4186? And how can
some show a 4192B without a 4192A being listed? I'm "Lost in Space".

The faint spiral down and to the right (Either it is NGC 4192A or NGC
4186 depending on which listing you use) has a normal red shift for a
Virgo Cluster galaxy, about 65 million light years. That would make it
a dwarf spiral compared to M98. The other one NGC 4192B (everyone I
checked agrees to that designation) has a red shift putting it some 360
million light years distant, far beyond the Virgo cluster. So it is a
giant spiral. Looks can be very deceiving.

Seeing was awful the night I took this one. I need to try again on a
better night. Thanks to clouds I'm down to processing these I had
planned on retaking before galaxy season was over. Mostly rainless
clouds changed my plans.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M98L4X10RGB2X10.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	914

Old June 1st 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
This is another galaxy from the Virgo group......

Beautiful image Rick! Keep imaging and let the seeing be damed!!

There's a catalog debate about the identities of the two other "large"
galaxies in the field......
......... So which one is NGC 4186? And how can
some show a 4192B without a 4192A being listed? I'm "Lost in Space".

Here's Dr. Corwin's note from the NGC/IC Project website ( I love tracing
down these old historical mistakes):

NGC 4186. Tempel mentions this object in two of his papers (AN 2212 and AN
2439). In the earlier paper, the offset from M98 (= N4192 = GC2786) is
given
as -10s and -10', leading to a position listed as 12 06 15 +15 32 (1855) [12
06 30 +15 30 (1860)] which is 10s off the NGC place (12 06 20 +15 31).
However, the later paper lists the offset as +20s, -9.5m which gives 12 07
00
+15 31 (1860). This position agrees with that from Zwicky for an Sa galaxy
with mp = 14.9; this was also earlier mentioned by Carlson (1940). The
mistake seems to have been Dreyer's: he applied the right ascension offset
(from Tempel's later paper) with the wrong sign.

Carlson and RC2 are correct; RNGC, UGC, and VCC are incorrect.

===========

George N

Old June 2nd 07, 12:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

There are some HII regions I'd hoped to resolve but they are lost in the
seeing. The dust lane at the core has some interesting detail seeing
messed up as well.

You take what the atmosphere allows. Good mountains with laminar air
flow are hard to find here in Minnesota!

Rick

Old June 2nd 07, 05:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker[_1_]

kkkkkkkkk

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:07:03 +0200, "toni" wrote:

[...]

This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

REALITY.EXE corrupt. Reboot universe (Y/N)?