Senator Calls on NASA to Service Hubble

Old March 13th 05, 02:57 AM
John C

Default Senator Calls on NASA to Service Hubble

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...oservicehubble

Old March 13th 05, 03:10 AM
PaulCsouls

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:57:21 GMT, "John C"
wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...oservicehubble

IEEE called for NASA to service Hubble.

Paul C
Old March 13th 05, 07:14 AM
Joe Bergeron

NASA's already planning to service Hubble!

Oh wait. They're actually planning to **** Hubble.

Oh well, it's practically the same thing.

--
Joe Bergeron

http://www.joebergeron.com
Old March 13th 05, 11:07 PM
Pierre

Hey, do you call 'servicing' fixing a rocket motor to it for
de-orbiting?
Sorry, was this the f*** factor you mentioned?
Pierre

Old March 14th 05, 03:09 AM
Mark F.

I'm not trying to be a A$^hole here.

But from what I have read we can send up a better telescope for the same
amount of money it would take to fix it.

Just a thought.

Mark

"John C" wrote in message
ink.net...
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...oservicehubble

Old March 14th 05, 03:18 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:09:31 GMT, "Mark F." wrote:

I'm not trying to be a A$^hole here.

But from what I have read we can send up a better telescope for the same
amount of money it would take to fix it.

Just a thought.

And it is a good thought, which I agree with. But... "can" and "will"
are different things. The HST is already there, and the reality is that
securing funding to fix it is probably a lot easier than securing
funding to replace it. And given its huge scientific value, several
years with no space telescope at all is unacceptable.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old March 14th 05, 04:19 AM
Mike Ruskai

On 13 Mar 2005 15:07:15 -0800, Pierre wrote:

Hey, do you call 'servicing' fixing a rocket motor to it for
de-orbiting?
Sorry, was this the f*** factor you mentioned?

Perhaps he was talking about "servicing" the same way George Carlin does,
when discussing how corporations "service" their customers.

--
- Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

Old March 15th 05, 04:01 AM
Drew

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:18:04 GMT, Chris L Peterson
wrote:

And given its huge scientific value, several
years with no space telescope at all is unacceptable.

I also wonder what would happen IF Webb has a problem at L2 or doesn't
make it? I think the idea should be to CONTINUE a mission UNTIL it's
replacement is ready to take over...not to CANCEL a mission early and
then have egg on NASA's face when the replacement buys the farm. Oops,
guess we should have serviced HST one last time. NASA foresight at
it's worst.