Upright image in reflector

Old August 3rd 05, 12:18 AM
Ducky

Default Upright image in reflector

Hi

I will be getting my first telescope soon. It will be an Orion SkyQuest
XT8 Dobsonian. I have ordered a shorty+ barlow in addition to the
included eyepieces. I知 thinking this telescope might also be useful for
casual terrestrial observations as I have a very nice view from my
terrace. A refractor is probably the best solution for this, but I am
not planning to get one anytime soon. So, I was wondering, is there any
usable solution to get an upright image in this telescope?

Regards

Athle

Old August 3rd 05, 12:57 AM
Alexander Avtanski

Ducky wrote:
Hi

I will be getting my first telescope soon. It will be an Orion SkyQuest
XT8 Dobsonian. I have ordered a shorty+ barlow in addition to the
included eyepieces. I知 thinking this telescope might also be useful for
casual terrestrial observations as I have a very nice view from my
terrace. A refractor is probably the best solution for this, but I am
not planning to get one anytime soon. So, I was wondering, is there any
usable solution to get an upright image in this telescope?

Regards

Athle

There is this handy invertor that might help:

http://tinyurl.com/awzkz

- Alex

P.S. (: tsiser t'ndluoc, yrroS
Old August 3rd 05, 01:15 AM
William Foley

Generally, Newtonians have a rather narrow FOV for use as a terrestrial
telescope. You CAN probably see an upright image if you move around the
scope until the image looks correct. To get any decent FOV you would need a
fairly low power EP, but since you would not be viewing at infinity, you
probably could not get such an EP far enough out on the focuser to focus on
a terrestrial object. Orion does have some pretty nice spotting scopes, I
think that one of those would work much better and hurt your neck much less.

Bill

Old August 3rd 05, 01:59 AM
Sam Wormley

Alexander Avtanski wrote:
Ducky wrote:

Hi

I will be getting my first telescope soon. It will be an Orion
SkyQuest XT8 Dobsonian. I have ordered a shorty+ barlow in addition to
the included eyepieces. I知 thinking this telescope might also be
useful for casual terrestrial observations as I have a very nice view
from my terrace. A refractor is probably the best solution for this,
but I am not planning to get one anytime soon. So, I was wondering, is
there any usable solution to get an upright image in this telescope?

Regards

Athle

There is this handy invertor that might help:

http://tinyurl.com/awzkz

- Alex

P.S. (: tsiser t'ndluoc, yrroS

Whee--That will help with extra oxygen to the retina too!
Old August 3rd 05, 02:03 AM
Tom

I used to have a 6" Orion reflector many years ago. With a 25mm ep and
terrestrial viewing, I could get a nice image, albeit upside down, at about
3/4 of a mile. Anything closer than that was difficult to see. With a 40mm
ep, I would "guess" your 8" would be effective for terrestrial at about the
same or maybe a mile. Don't expect to see something in your backyard, unless
you have a focuser that's 3 feet long, and you want to count the number of
feathers on the left leg of a sparrow.

Congrats on the new scope!
--
Tom
"Do, or do not. There is no try" (Yoda, 1980).

Old August 3rd 05, 04:45 AM
William Hamblen

On 2005-08-02, Ducky wrote:
I will be getting my first telescope soon. It will be an Orion SkyQuest
XT8 Dobsonian. I have ordered a shorty+ barlow in addition to the
included eyepieces. I知 thinking this telescope might also be useful for
casual terrestrial observations as I have a very nice view from my
terrace. A refractor is probably the best solution for this, but I am
not planning to get one anytime soon. So, I was wondering, is there any
usable solution to get an upright image in this telescope?

The usual image erectors won't work because you don't have enough back
focus. You could lie on your back and look up into the eyepiece, but
that is a little awkward. Newtonians aren't much good as terrestrial
telescopes: stray daylight reduces contrast and the magnification is way
too much. A pair of seven power binoculars or a regular spotting scope
(if more magnification is wanted) is better for daytime use.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.