Misson control layout for Mercury

Old December 10th 03, 06:19 PM
Tater Schuld

Default Misson control layout for Mercury

anyone know what the layout was for seating in mission control for the
mercury project? I already have the current layout, but wanted to know
where it had progressed from
Old December 10th 03, 08:09 PM
Roger Balettie

"Tater Schuld" wrote:
anyone know what the layout was for seating in mission control for the
mercury project? I already have the current layout, but wanted to know
where it had progressed from

"Mission Control", in the Houston/JSC incarnation, was not even implemented
until Gemini 4 in 1965. Prior to that, world-wide distributed control (with
the prime focus at KSC) was the process.

Roger
--
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer

Old December 11th 03, 07:52 PM
Bill Higgins

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Roger Balettie wrote:

"Tater Schuld" wrote:
anyone know what the layout was for seating in mission control for the
mercury project? I already have the current layout, but wanted to know
where it had progressed from

"Mission Control", in the Houston/JSC incarnation, was not even implemented
until Gemini 4 in 1965. Prior to that, world-wide distributed control (with
the prime focus at KSC) was the process.

By "KSC" Roger means, of course, Cape Canaveral.

--
Bill Higgins | Moshe Yudkowsky has seen *Return of the King*:
Fermilab | "It follows the book almost exactly:
| The first hour wraps up the story of the ring.
Internet: | The next two hours has
Old December 12th 03, 01:54 PM
Hallerb

By "KSC" Roger means, of course, Cape Canaveral.

Werent the first mssions controlled at the cape? Last time I was there the
guide said the building in poor condition was due to be rehabbed and restored
someday. It was gutted after control went to texas/
Old December 14th 03, 03:38 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message
It was gutted after control went to texas/

Does the CAIB report place the blame for that on NASA management as well?
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old December 15th 03, 08:23 PM
Dave Tenney

The Mercury Control Center (the phrase "Mission Control" dates from the
Gemini program) was much simpler compared to the later control rooms in
Houston.
A photograph can be found he
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4001/images/fig28.jpg
For an annotated floor plan, see page 2-25 (page 64 of the PDF file) of
"Introduction to Project Mercury and Site Handbook" available he
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/s...ckingSites.pdf
Also, take a look at the layout for the Bahamas Tracking Station, as it was
designated as a backup control center in the event the MCC lost
functionality during a flight.
Many many many more valuable documents are available as PDF's on this site:
http://www.geocities.com/bobandrepont/spacepdf.htm
When the Mercury Control Center was developed, keep in mind that
communications switching and computer services were handled at Goddard SFC.
Also, much of the air to ground communication was handled by the staff at
the individual remote sites with the information being sent by telephone or
teletype back to the MCC. In later programs, the remote sites were gradually
made more automated and all communication and control grew to reside with
Houston.

--Dave--

om...