PBS 2 hour "Black Hole Apocalypse" NOVA special was pretty good

Old January 17th 18, 12:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default PBS 2 hour "Black Hole Apocalypse" NOVA special was pretty good

Perhaps a bit derivative of parts of Cosmos and The Elegant Universe and the lady astrophysicist wasn't the most compelling narrator, but the info on the LIGO array used to detect gravity waves and such was interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/video/black-hole-apocalypse-yj34qi/

Old January 17th 18, 10:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 11:28:39 PM UTC, RichA wrote:
Perhaps a bit derivative of parts of Cosmos and The Elegant Universe and the lady astrophysicist wasn't the most compelling narrator, but the info on the LIGO array used to detect gravity waves and such was interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/video/black-hole-apocalypse-yj34qi/

This cracks me up - when you operate with an RA/Dec celestial sphere framework imposed on the celestial arena you are going to come across a no center/no circumference obstruction. It was this concept that horrified the astronomers before Copernicus and led to its abolition by Copernicus using a moving Earth -

"And wherever anyone would be, he would believe himself to be at the center.. Therefore, merge these different imaginative pictures so that the center is the zenith and vice versa. Thereupon you will see-- through the intellect..that the world and its motion and shape cannot be apprehended. For [the Universe] will appear as a wheel in a wheel and a sphere in a sphere-- having its center and circumference nowhere. . . " Nicolas of Cusa

What an easily entertained bunch you are, fictional entities based on 'no center/no circumference' ideologies whether black hole or big bang are the products of mathematical minds who lack any connection to physical considerations. The notion of the center everywhere and nowhere applied to an object or the evolution of the Universe comes down to a linguistic slight of hand that is hilarious.

Infinite density/zero volume = Nothing

Infinite Volume/ zero density= Still equals Nothing

I suppose it gives the magnification hobbyists something to do when they are tired of magnification and identification.They should at least try to get involved in making sense of observations from a moving Earth instead of following voodoo merchants.

Old January 17th 18, 03:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill Gill

On 1/16/2018 5:28 PM, RichA wrote:
Perhaps a bit derivative of parts of Cosmos and The Elegant Universe and the lady astrophysicist wasn't the most compelling narrator, but the info on the LIGO array used to detect gravity waves and such was interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/video/black-hole-apocalypse-yj34qi/

I thought she did as good a job as most science narrators. In
fact I was impressed by the fact that they actually had quite
a few female presenters, rather than mostly male.

As you said the show was a pretty good one. I am always happy
when the NOVA actually does a good show and mostly gets it
right.

Bill

Old January 17th 18, 04:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Bill Gill wrote in
news
On 1/16/2018 5:28 PM, RichA wrote:
Perhaps a bit derivative of parts of Cosmos and The Elegant
Universe and the lady astrophysicist wasn't the most compelling
narrator, but the info on the LIGO array used to detect gravity
waves and such was interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/video/black-hole-apocalypse-yj34qi/

I thought she did as good a job as most science narrators.

I suspect she was chosen as much for her looks as for her ability to
prounced the big words correctly. (Which is a shame, because she's
quite qualified as an astrophysicist, too. But that's television.)

In
fact I was impressed by the fact that they actually had quite
a few female presenters, rather than mostly male.

That's pretty much a given these days in liberal television (and PBS
certainly is).

As you said the show was a pretty good one. I am always happy
when the NOVA actually does a good show and mostly gets it
right.

As they often do.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old January 18th 18, 09:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 17 January 2018 09:21:10 UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
On 1/16/2018 5:28 PM, RichA wrote:
Perhaps a bit derivative of parts of Cosmos and The Elegant Universe and the lady astrophysicist wasn't the most compelling narrator, but the info on the LIGO array used to detect gravity waves and such was interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/video/black-hole-apocalypse-yj34qi/

I thought she did as good a job as most science narrators. In
fact I was impressed by the fact that they actually had quite
a few female presenters, rather than mostly male.

As you said the show was a pretty good one. I am always happy
when the NOVA actually does a good show and mostly gets it
right.

Bill

But except for one woman who worked on the orbit of stars at the galaxy core, they were peripheral figures.
Old January 18th 18, 09:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 17 January 2018 11:46:28 UTC-5, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Bill Gill wrote in
news
On 1/16/2018 5:28 PM, RichA wrote:
Perhaps a bit derivative of parts of Cosmos and The Elegant
Universe and the lady astrophysicist wasn't the most compelling
narrator, but the info on the LIGO array used to detect gravity
waves and such was interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/video/black-hole-apocalypse-yj34qi/

I thought she did as good a job as most science narrators.

I suspect she was chosen as much for her looks as for her ability to
prounced the big words correctly. (Which is a shame, because she's
quite qualified as an astrophysicist, too. But that's television.)

Not to mention the creepy shot of her high-heeled shoes and the S&M collar she was wearing.
Old January 18th 18, 04:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

RichA wrote in
:

On Wednesday, 17 January 2018 11:46:28 UTC-5, Jibini Kula
Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Bill Gill wrote in
news
On 1/16/2018 5:28 PM, RichA wrote:
Perhaps a bit derivative of parts of Cosmos and The Elegant
Universe and the lady astrophysicist wasn't the most
compelling narrator, but the info on the LIGO array used to
detect gravity waves and such was interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/video/black-hole-apocalypse-yj34qi/

I thought she did as good a job as most science narrators.

I suspect she was chosen as much for her looks as for her
ability to prounced the big words correctly. (Which is a shame,
because she's quite qualified as an astrophysicist, too. But
that's television.)

Not to mention the creepy shot of her high-heeled shoes and the
S&M collar she was wearing.

You have a point? It's television. And maybe she's into that sort of
thing.