Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 24th 19, 05:41 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Nicolaas Vroom

Default Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?

Accordingly to this article:
https://medium.com/the-cosmic-compan...t-e8a649a32ec8
"Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?", is the age of the universe,
not 13,8 billion years, but 11 billion years old.
This seems, to me, a rather big shift, specific because it is based on
gravitational lensing.

Nicolaas Vroom

[[Mod. note -- This article is based on this press release
"High value for Hubble constant from two gravitational lenses"
https://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/743539/news20190913
which in turn describes this research paper
"A measurement of the Hubble constant from angular diameter distances
to two gravitational lenses"
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/365/6458/1134
which is nicely synopsized in this commentary
"An expanding controversy"
/An independently calibrated measurement fortifies the debate
around Hubble's constant/
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/365/6458/1076

Figure 6 of the /Science/ research article gives a nice comparison
of some of the recent Hubble-constant measurements, showing that the
choice of cosmological model (at least within the range of models
considered by the authors) makes rather little difference.
-- jt]]