Relative Distance & Mass of the Sun and Earth

Old January 11th 04, 04:47 AM
JeffP

Default Relative Distance & Mass of the Sun and Earth

Would it be safe to say that if we use 1" to a million miles, the earth is
aprox. 93' from the sun?

Does anyone know if the relative mass of the sun, say the earth was a grain of
sand, 1/32" is about 18"sq?

Would a model using a beach ball at one end and a 93' long string with a grain
of sand at the other a fairly accurate reprentation of the relative size and
distance from the sun to the earth?

TIA

JeffP....

Old January 11th 04, 02:15 PM
Rob

JeffP wrote:
Would it be safe to say that if we use 1" to a million miles, the
earth is aprox. 93' from the sun?

Does anyone know if the relative mass of the sun, say the earth was a
grain of sand, 1/32" is about 18"sq?

Would a model using a beach ball at one end and a 93' long string
with a grain of sand at the other a fairly accurate reprentation of
the relative size and distance from the sun to the earth?

TIA

JeffP....

Sounds about right but it dosnt sound practical as a model