C'mon guys...

Old April 26th 14, 05:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert Olton

Default C'mon guys...

Cheesh, you know what, all I am is a Diesel Mechanic/welder/heavy
equipment operator, but dang, the language you guys use on here in
what's supposed to be a sort of scientific newsgroup kind of puts me to
shame.

I'd like to have my wife and a couple of my kids participate here since
we're trying to learn about astronomy, but the crap that gets posted
here is beyond anything they'd hear at one of our union picnics.

I always thought that I and the guys I work with had no class. You all
make us look like a bunch of pikers. Would love to get one of you on
the sidehill or in a tunnel sometime, see what you're really made of..

Not so best regards,
Bert

--
Molon Labe. To those who have served or are serving the cause of
freedom whether in peace or in war at home or abroad thank you. Si vis
Old April 26th 14, 05:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Friday, April 25, 2014 11:10:48 PM UTC-5, Bert Olton wrote:
[...]

I agree with you 100%

A bit of civility please!

UncRollo
Old April 26th 14, 05:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert Olton

Uncarollo2 wrote:

I agree with you 100%

A bit of civility please!

UncRollo

Thank you, sir.

Bert
Old April 26th 14, 08:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:10:48 AM UTC+1, Bert Olton wrote:

Cheesh, you know what, all I am is a Diesel Mechanic/welder/heavy

equipment operator, but dang, the language you guys use on here in

what's supposed to be a sort of scientific newsgroup kind of puts me to

shame.

The swearing and personal insults mean nothing,it is the content of what they say which should draw your attention. In the engineering sector you will find individuals who talk a good game but when it comes down to dealing with different sorts of situations and problems they are lost and it is no different in astronomy.

I have come up from that tough environment where a few swear words ain't going to make a difference but when you have dealt with genuine people you discover that you have nothing in common with those who have set themselves up as 'geniuses' by chanting voodoo and bluffing. You downplay yourself as "all I am" is a welder yet watching and understanding how fluids flow through your shield is a great groundwork for considering how the Earth's interior fluid flows,using heavy equipment gives you a type of responsibility for motion and space that the academic wouldn't have,mechanics will give you an appreciation how innovative people actually are and so on.

Astronomy is not merely a magnification exercise at night,it requires that you use every part of your brain and experience to work out cause and effect or how to make sense of the celestial arena.

Old April 26th 14, 12:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

You cannot reason with Gerald - I worked with students on the autistic spectrum for many years and once they had made up their minds about an issue it was virtually impossible to get them to change their opinion.

You will not get Gerald to debate or discuss his views. He will, however, repeat minor variations of the same material for years on an almost daily basis.

Gerald cannot see situations from any other viewpoint than his own. This is a characteristic of his condition. He neither knows nor cares if he is annoying or upsetting other users of the group.

Posting to the group is an important part of his life. It is hard to imagine that he is in gainful employment or that he has a "normal" social life so he has become a "keyboard warrior" instead.

The solution is simple. Ignore him. Never respond to his posts, turn him into a non-person.

Old April 26th 14, 12:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:00:47 PM UTC+1, wrote:

The solution is simple. Ignore him. Never respond to his posts, turn him into a non-person.

A non-person you say !,I am sure the academics have enjoyed the privilege of turning everyone else in non-persons by using astronomy as a vehicle for all the contrived rubbish that enters their heads however genuine astronomers don't suffer things like isolation or being 'sent to Coventry'. You poor thing created a game for me,didn't have to play yourself and you still lost but that is all bluster stuff that I have no interest in from minds that just don't like astronomy.

I have my work cut out for me in trying to demonstrate that modern tools change things in a very specific way but then again you need common sense to realize this. The most useful element of contemporary tools is the ability to condense long term observations into more manageable form where the observer can make sense of motions going on in the celestial arena .

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011220.html

Watching the Earth overtake the outer planets is now a cinch for those who are not afraid to use these tools however there is no set of observation dedicated towards describing the motions of the inner planets around the Sun from a different perspective.

Try the motion of the background stars over a long period due to the orbital motion of the Earth ,along with the motions of the planets,from delightful graphics which make it so easy for everyone -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQwYrfmvoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdFrE7hWj0A

The voodoo and bluffing of the empirical cult obscures what people can do with modern tools and all it takes are a few people to get into that stream of reasoning beyond the ability to identify objects in the celestial arena and make the effort to picture long term motions as astronomers once did.

The day may come when astronomy is simply a part of life and people make no huge deal over all those basic experiences and the dynamics behind them,unfortunately you empiricists can't match one rotation with all the effects within a 24 hour day.

Old April 26th 14, 03:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Doug[_5_]

Thank you Bert - also concur 100%!

While legitimate disagreements are almost guaranteed, there is certainly no need to resort
to personal verbal assaults. Most unfortunately this is a frequent occurrence in this
group.

A solution - the kill file. A beneficial result of which is I no longer see any posts
from Kelleher, Oriel, and others who are incapable of remaining civil or just carry on
with what others accept as being incorrect.

On the other hand - have learned much from many group members, which outnumber the cranks,
and therefore continue to benefit from the majority of postings.

The kill file is your friend!

Regards,

Doug

Old April 26th 14, 04:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 00:10:48 -0400, Bert Olton
wrote:

Cheesh, you know what, all I am is a Diesel Mechanic/welder/heavy
equipment operator, but dang, the language you guys use on here in
what's supposed to be a sort of scientific newsgroup kind of puts me to
shame.

To be clear, this isn't really a science newsgroup, and hasn't been
for years. If you're interested in astronomy, this isn't really the
place to come for information. This is a sort of free-for-all forum
where the participants happen to be amateur astronomers. And unless
something changes to bring Usenet back into the mainstream of the
Internet (very unlikely), I don't expect that to change.
Old April 26th 14, 08:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:34:07 PM UTC+1, Doug wrote:
Thank you Bert - also concur 100%!

While legitimate disagreements are almost guaranteed, there is certainly no need to resort

to personal verbal assaults. Most unfortunately this is a frequent occurrence in this

group.

A solution - the kill file. A beneficial result of which is I no longer see any posts

from Kelleher, Oriel, and others who are incapable of remaining civil or just carry on

with what others accept as being incorrect.

On the other hand - have learned much from many group members, which outnumber the cranks,

and therefore continue to benefit from the majority of postings.

The kill file is your friend!

Regards,

Doug

Of course you soon discover that once you post on any topic then you leave yourself open without being able to reply so it never serves the killfiler or whatever you call yourselves but rather serves the 'killfiled' respondee.. A killfile sounds great in principle but merely displays intellectual cowardice and a lack of political maturity.

The old saying applies - if you can't stand the heat...

Old April 26th 14, 08:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

wrote:

Cheesh, you know what, all I am is a Diesel Mechanic/welder/heavy

equipment operator, but dang, the language you guys use on here in

what's supposed to be a sort of scientific newsgroup kind of puts me to

shame.

To be clear, this isn't really a science newsgroup, and hasn't been

for years. If you're interested in astronomy, this isn't really the

place to come for information. This is a sort of free-for-all forum

where the participants happen to be amateur astronomers. And unless

something changes to bring Usenet back into the mainstream of the

Internet (very unlikely), I don't expect that to change.

Best place on the internet and nothing like the sterile consumerist forums which are almost childish imitations of a real forum. You don't get any badges or awards,academics are no longer head of the class here and you post empirical propaganda at your own peril.

Hi guys please help! [email protected] Misc 1 August 9th 07 07:53 PM
Hi guys please help! [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 August 9th 07 07:11 PM
You Guys Are Mean Holly Misc 80 January 27th 07 01:02 AM
You Guys Are Mean Holly Misc 14 December 15th 06 11:02 PM
you guys on here should get out more geek-alert Space Shuttle 6 July 11th 06 04:21 PM