Robert McCall has died

Old March 1st 10, 09:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_3_]

Default Robert McCall has died

Pat Flannery wrote in news:Y-
hdakotatelephone:

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2010/0...rt-mccall.html
If the name doesn't ring a bell, this painting of his certainly will:
http://thisdistractedglobe.com/wp-co...2001poster.jpg
He was a giant in the world of space illustration, ranking right up
there with Chesley Bonestell, and his incredibly energetic paintings
could take your breath away the first time you saw them; there's a
online gallery of them he
http://www.mccallstudios.com/gallery_index.html

Makin' me feel old, Pat. I remember McCall's work from the 60's.

--Damon

Old March 1st 10, 12:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 3/1/2010 1:58 AM, Damon Hill wrote:

Makin' me feel old, Pat. I remember McCall's work from the 60's.

I didn't realize just how far he went back till I ran into a painting he
did of a prototype Atlas launch from 1959:
http://www.plan59.com/av/av452.htm

Pat
Old March 1st 10, 10:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 3/1/2010 12:32 PM, Dr.Colon Oscopy wrote:

Thats a real blow to the world of space art. Certianly comprable to
Bonestell. I have a Popular Sceince around here somewhere (late 60's
maybe) about manned ASAT's and McCall did some beautiful work in the
article (I've never seen those illustrations anywhere in the public
domain)

For a few years there, you'd see his work every month or so it seemed.
He was obviously very prolific as far as total number of paintings went.
He had a very distinctive style which I found highly effective.
Really liked this one in particular:
http://www.hellomuller.com/blog/wp-c.../03/mccall.jpg

Pat
Old March 1st 10, 11:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 3/1/2010 2:53 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:
For a few years there, you'd see his work every month or so it seemed.
He was obviously very prolific as far as total number of paintings went.
He had a very distinctive style which I found highly effective.

15 more pages of his artwork starting he
http://www.fabiofeminofantascience.o...L/MCCALL1.html

Pat