Cost of Space Travel

Old February 24th 10, 01:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_828_]

Default Cost of Space Travel (and communication)

William Mook wrote:
David Spain said, "Problem is that in the most affluent areas that
would actually subscribe, "

William Mook replies;

The world is rich enough to subscribe generally. Average global
income is $10,350 per person per year.

RANK INCOME PEOPLE SERVICE PACKAGE

Low income: $1,407 1.5 billion $1/year - 2 MHz - $20
handset
Middle income: $6,157 3.8 billion $1/month - 10 MHz - $200
netbook
High income: $37,141 1.5 billion $12/month - 60 MHz - $2000
laptop

You've got to be kidding. You expect someone to spend $2000/year for your
connectivity?

With 33% market penetration $85 billion per year is earned.

And with 100% market penetration you earn $255 B per year.

And with 0% you earn nothing.

Considering that existing cellular subscribers are cannibilizing each
customers already and there's market saturation as it is, I think any
investor would laugh you out of the room if you suggested you could get
anywhere CLOSE to 33% market penetration.

After pointing out you have confused "market" with population.

Time to market and cost of space access is important. I spoke with
Craig McCaw about this back in 1995. I said that he needed to spend
as much developing low cost space launch as he did satellites. He
disagreed. He thought that

His thoughts have made him billions, yours? Seriously Mook, you can type up
a storm, but others actually produce.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.