A thread on Camping & neat tricks

Old April 10th 07, 09:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TBerk

Default A thread on Camping & neat tricks

I was doing my searching before asking what scope might be worth
hauling over hill and dale (overnight bedding down, on foot) vs car
capming where you load up the house and inflate on site.

I came across the following thread;
Packable Scope Advice Requested
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.a...e068 7e70b265

and was reading about the height/weight of a tripod being a
determining factor.

Now, all that said I was thinking; would it make sense to use a
lightweight tripod but attach underneath a bucket on a string, filled
with water or earth/rocks to make it more stable?

If this is the 1st time anyone has heard of such a thing (unlikely)
call it a 'Berk's Bucket' but if not then let me in on the good and
bad points, esp vs something like sandbagging each leg.

tia,
TBerk

Old April 10th 07, 10:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben

TBerk,

I think a bucket might be a bit cumbersome for
any overland treking. Why not experiment with a
heavy bag and some nylon cord to fix it to the
tripod.

I use a bank deposit bag (with drawstrings) and
a few old batteries to fine tune the balance of my
10 sometimes. It works pretty well and saves
me from having to lug and tug the counterweight.

Ben

Old April 11th 07, 02:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris Jewell

"TBerk" writes:

[snipped]
Now, all that said I was thinking; would it make sense to use a
lightweight tripod but attach underneath a bucket on a string, filled
with water or earth/rocks to make it more stable?

If this is the 1st time anyone has heard of such a thing (unlikely)
call it a 'Berk's Bucket' but if not then let me in on the good and
bad points, esp vs something like sandbagging each leg.

Hanging a weight under a scope tripod to increase stability is a
well-known trick.

You might search the web for a collapsible canvas bucket, which would
be easy to pack and carry. If you're the make-it-yourself type, look
for a book called _The_Arts_Of_The_Sailor_, by Hervey Garrett Smith.
Smith gives instructions for making a canvas bucket with a wooden
bottom and ring in the top, (so the sides won't collapse inward when
you put a lot of weight in the bottom).

I don't know how old the book is, but I encountered it about 30
years ago, and I'm sure it was not new then.

--
Chris Jewell PO Box 1396 Gualala CA USA 95445-1396
Old April 11th 07, 11:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TBerk

Thx Ben n' Chris.

I thought it wouldn't be anything new but threw it against the wall
anyway.

I wonder what other things people use to help 'scope while on the
trail?

TBerk

Old April 12th 07, 01:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Al[_1_]

I wonder what other things people use to help 'scope while on the
trail?

You could try http://astronomy.concreteairship.com/scope/fix-it.htm
Al

Old April 14th 07, 04:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill Cotten

"TBerk" wrote in message
oups.com...

I wonder what other things people use to help 'scope while on the
trail?

Two things......Just take along a length or nylon parachute cord and attach
it to your tripod then hang a largish rock from it. You could also take
along a bungee cord of the correct length and attach it to the tripod and
hold it down with a tent stake driven in at an angle. Be sure the ground is
solid enough to use this method though.......you don't want anything coming
loose unexpectedly!
Bill