Whence spiral galaxies?

Old September 21st 06, 01:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Sandy Tipper

Default Whence spiral galaxies?

As I understand it:
- The current theory is that galaxies formed by merger of smaller
mini-galaxies.
- When two spiral galaxies merge, eventually they form a giant elliptical
galaxy.

So, if when galaxies merge they become an elliptical,
and all galaxies form from mergers,
how come there are so many spiral galaxies? Where did they come from?

-- Sandy

Old September 21st 06, 03:28 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Starlord

Not all galaxys come from mearging, many of the spiral start out as that
kind of galaxy. Look at the Milklyway, our home, it's a barred spiral galaxy
and we have up to 5 or 6 smaller galaxys of no real form in orbit around it
and the gravite of the MW is slowly pulling them down to become part of the
MW itself. At this very time a small sub galaxy is mearging with the MW on
the other side away from us.

And in another billion years, our galaxy and M-31 will start the dance of
death and will endup sometime in the far furture mearing together to become
a vastly bigger spiral galaxy.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

Old September 21st 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mike Ruskai

On or about Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:28:25 -0700 did "Starlord"
dribble thusly:

And in another billion years, our galaxy and M-31 will start the dance of
death and will endup sometime in the far furture mearing together to become
a vastly bigger spiral galaxy.

Actually, all the models I've heard of predict that two large spirals
always create an elliptical when they merge.
--
- Mike

Ignore the Python in me to send e-mail.
Old September 21st 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Starlord

Take a look at the Ant galaxys, two sprial which on their first pass have
torn gas/dust out and way and there's major star forming there, they will
return on the next go around and most likly end up floming a larger spiral
galaxy as their two Black Holes mearg into one Black Hole.

Look at todays hubble news, galaxys that had formed just about 1 billion
years after the big bang and so far they've counted 500 of them just from
one area, take that 1 degree slick and figure out the other 59 dregrees
worth and the number of galaxys becomes mind staging.

Old September 21st 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius[_1_] Painius[_1_] is offline
Banned

"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..

Not all galaxys come from mearging, many of the spiral start out as that
kind of galaxy. Look at the Milklyway, our home, it's a barred spiral
galaxy and we have up to 5 or 6 smaller galaxys of no real form in orbit
around it and the gravite of the MW is slowly pulling them down to become
part of the MW itself. At this very time a small sub galaxy is mearging
with the MW on the other side away from us.

And in another billion years, our galaxy and M-31 will start the dance of
death and will endup sometime in the far furture mearing together to
become a vastly bigger spiral galaxy.

There is no evidence for this, just a lot of unsubstantiated
hype. A blue shift simply means that an object is moving
in our GENERAL direction. M-31 could actually be going
at nearly right angles to us in a virtually infinite number of
directions. Or it could actually be traveling at any angle
from zero up to almost 90 degrees and again in virtually
an infinite number of directions.

Blue shifts only give an idea as to the RADIAL component
of an object's vectorial travel. There is as yet absolutely no
way to detect the LATERAL component of the Andromeda
Galaxy's direction of zoom.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--