Russian Super Rocket

Old November 6th 03, 09:22 PM
Rod Stevenson

Default Russian Super Rocket

I was lucky enough to help host a visit by two members of the Russian Space
program. They spent the day with 600 Norfolk school children. One of the
visitors was Alexander Martynov ex-head of Ballistics Department. He talked
about the Russian plans to mount a manned mission to Mars in 2025-2035. They
are planning to use a rocket called 'Energia' which will have a 200 TON
payload capacity. Later I aasked him for more detail but he said that he
could not give further details.
Does anyone else have an information about this rocket?
The idea of it is awe inspiring. A Saturn V could lift 118,000Kg to LEO
which I make 115 tons. Translunar capacity was 47,000kg = 46 tons. How big
will this thing be?

Rod Stevenson

Old November 7th 03, 11:50 PM
Alan Erskine

"Rod Stevenson" wrote in message
I was lucky enough to help host a visit by two members of the Russian

Space
program. They spent the day with 600 Norfolk school children. One of the
visitors was Alexander Martynov ex-head of Ballistics Department. He

talked
about the Russian plans to mount a manned mission to Mars in 2025-2035.

They
are planning to use a rocket called 'Energia' which will have a 200 TON
payload capacity. Later I aasked him for more detail but he said that he
could not give further details.
Does anyone else have an information about this rocket?
The idea of it is awe inspiring. A Saturn V could lift 118,000Kg to LEO
which I make 115 tons. Translunar capacity was 47,000kg = 46 tons. How big
will this thing be?

Rod Stevenson

(posting from sci.space.history)

Do a web search for "Energia" and see what you come up with. One of the
links you'll get will be for Encyclopaedia Astronautica
(www.astronautix.com) go there and click on the link titled "rockets"; you
will find a link to Energia.

I might add that the Russian's aren't "planning" a mission to Mars (or
anywhere else with the state of their economy), but are instead dreaming.

--
Alan Erskine
alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Iraq, America's new Vietnam

Old November 8th 03, 12:23 AM
Derek Lyons

"Rod Stevenson" wrote:
I was lucky enough to help host a visit by two members of the Russian Space
program. They spent the day with 600 Norfolk school children. One of the
visitors was Alexander Martynov ex-head of Ballistics Department. He talked
about the Russian plans to mount a manned mission to Mars in 2025-2035. They
are planning to use a rocket called 'Energia' which will have a 200 TON
payload capacity. Later I aasked him for more detail but he said that he
could not give further details.

He can't give any details, because there is no such rocket as Energia.
There was, but it's a long dead program.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.

Old November 9th 03, 08:58 PM
Rod Stevenson

Thanks for the info. I have seen the info Energia as the Buran/Poyus
launcher. However it seemed that this launch vehicle was dead as a project
and also half the size of the mentioned vehicle. Dr Martynov said that they
had been working on the plans for the past 20 years and were at present
carrying out engine tests.
Possibley he was just shooting a line at some stupid Brits but he is at the
centre of developments at S.P.Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation Energia.

Rod Stevenson

Old January 29th 04, 10:51 PM
Joseph S. Powell, III

Well, in addition to the single, unmanned Buran flight (and the Polyus
death-star test), wasn't Energia used to launch the segments of the
now-defunct-killing-teenage-American-girls-with-it's-toilet-seats-upon-reent
ry Mir?

Old January 30th 04, 03:01 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
Well, in addition to the single, unmanned Buran flight (and the Polyus
death-star test), wasn't Energia used to launch the segments of the
now-defunct-killing-teenage-American-girls-with-it's-toilet-seats-upon-reent
ry Mir?

Nope. Mir's modules all went up on Proton. There was, at one point, a
plan for a much larger Mir 2 using Energia launches, but that didn't last
long.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old January 30th 04, 04:41 AM
Eric Fenby

"Joseph S. Powell, III" wrote in message

[...]

I'm very sorry to hear about that episode, JSP. It's entirely new to me; I
was unaware that anyone was killed by any part of the MIR on re-entry. In
fact I thought that to date nobody at all had been killed or even injured by
falling satellite debris.
Through the success of it's design and it's longevity the MIR was a great
deal more successful than the ISS has been to date, even despite the
numerous problems which it's crews had to handle. I fear the ISS may never
even be completed if major changes are confirmed in the exploration plans of
NASA.
It's good though that the reliable old Soyuz capsules are available to bail
out the Shuttle.
How many were killed in the incident you mention please?

Eric Fenby.

Old January 30th 04, 07:23 AM
Pat Flannery

Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:

Well, in addition to the single, unmanned Buran flight (and the Polyus
death-star test), wasn't Energia used to launch the segments of the
now-defunct-killing-teenage-American-girls-with-it's-toilet-seats-upon-reent
ry Mir?

Nope, six Proton launches.

Pat

Old January 30th 04, 03:37 PM
Stephen

"Eric Fenby" wrote in message

Well, in addition to the single, unmanned Buran flight (and the Polyus

death-star test), wasn't Energia used to launch the segments of the

now-defunct-killing-teenage-American-girls-with-it's-toilet-seats-upon-reent
ry Mir?

I'm very sorry to hear about that episode, JSP. It's entirely new to me; I
was unaware that anyone was killed by any part of the MIR on re-entry. In

snip

He was talking about a TV prog, first episode

http://www.deadlikeme.tv/home.html

Stephen.