Russian super rocket?

Old November 5th 03, 07:38 PM
Rod Stevenson

Default Russian super rocket?

East Anglia is being visited by two members of the Russian space program. I
was lucky enough to be able to talk to Alexander Martynov, a senior member
of the Russian design program. He was saying that the Russians have plans
for a manned Mars mission in the 2025-2035 time frame. At present they are
working on a new rocket called 'Energia'. It will have a lift capacity of
200 TONS! When I pressed him , he either could not or would not give me
details about it. It will alllow them to build a 600 ton ISS in only 3
launches.
Does anyone have more information on this craft?

Rod Stevenson

Old November 6th 03, 09:53 PM
Matthew Rudzicz

Check this out. Looks like development was stopped when the USSR imploded.

Matt

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/energia.htm

Old November 7th 03, 01:51 AM
Bob Martin

Rod Stevenson wrote in message
East Anglia is being visited by two members of the Russian space program.

was lucky enough to be able to talk to Alexander Martynov, a senior member
of the Russian design program. He was saying that the Russians have plans
for a manned Mars mission in the 2025-2035 time frame. At present they are
working on a new rocket called 'Energia'. It will have a lift capacity of
200 TONS! When I pressed him , he either could not or would not give me
details about it. It will alllow them to build a 600 ton ISS in only 3
launches.
Does anyone have more information on this craft?

Rod Stevenson

The Energia has been around for almost 20 years. As best I can remember, it
only flew 3 times.

The basic configuration of the Energia resembles the US Space Shuttle's
external fuel tank and boosters. However, the Energia's core stage (the
part that looks like the shuttle's fuel tank) is actually a rocket, with an
RD-120 four-chamber motor on the bottom. It also has four boosters instead
of two, and each booster is basically the first stage of a Zenit rocket.
They are mounted in pairs on each side of the core stage. The payloads are
mounted piggyback (like the space shuttle) either out in the open or in a
special pod. In fact, the Soviet Union had a space shuttle, and it was
launched on the Energia, though instead of carrying the main engines it was
only along for the ride to orbit.

The first flight of the Energia was a test flight with no payload. The
second flight was a failure, though by no fault of the Energia. The Soviets
were launching a military space station called Polyus. Because of its odd
design, Polyus had to ride upside-down on the side of the core stage. It
was supposed to separate, flip around 180 degrees, and fire its own rockets
to finish getting into orbit. Unfortunately, instead of only flipping 180
degrees, it went 360, and deorbited itself into the ocean.
The third launch was the first (and only) flight of the Soviet space shuttle
Buran.

Old November 7th 03, 03:13 AM
Joann Evans

Rod Stevenson wrote:

East Anglia is being visited by two members of the Russian space program. I
was lucky enough to be able to talk to Alexander Martynov, a senior member
of the Russian design program. He was saying that the Russians have plans
for a manned Mars mission in the 2025-2035 time frame. At present they are
working on a new rocket called 'Energia'. It will have a lift capacity of
200 TONS! When I pressed him , he either could not or would not give me
details about it. It will alllow them to build a 600 ton ISS in only 3
launches.
Does anyone have more information on this craft?

Rod Stevenson

This Energia? It's old news....

http://www.astronautix.com/lvfam/energia.htm

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/baiko...ergia_250.html

http://www.aerospaceguide.net/polyus.html

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/energia.html

Ressurecting it may be possible, but getting the money to do so,
probably is not.

--

You know what to remove, to reply....

Old November 7th 03, 01:23 PM
Mike Miller

"Rod Stevenson" wrote in message ...
East Anglia is being visited by two members of the Russian space program. I
was lucky enough to be able to talk to Alexander Martynov, a senior member
of the Russian design program. He was saying that the Russians have plans
for a manned Mars mission in the 2025-2035 time frame. At present they are
working on a new rocket called 'Energia'. It will have a lift capacity of
200 TONS! When I pressed him , he either could not or would not give me
details about it. It will alllow them to build a 600 ton ISS in only 3
launches.
Does anyone have more information on this craft?

First: www.astronautix.com is your friend.

Second, the Energia was developed in the late 1970s and flew in the
1980s. It launched the Buran shuttle (79.4 tons) once.

"The modular Energia design could be used for payloads of from 10 to
200 tonnes using various combinations of booster stages, numbers of
modular main engines in the core stage, and upper stages."

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/energia.htm

It's not so much a new rocket as reviving an abandoned rocket, and
making use of the high end capacity (200 tons) designed into the
Energia.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
Old November 7th 03, 10:53 PM
Alex Filonov

"Rod Stevenson" wrote in message ...
East Anglia is being visited by two members of the Russian space program. I
was lucky enough to be able to talk to Alexander Martynov, a senior member
of the Russian design program. He was saying that the Russians have plans
for a manned Mars mission in the 2025-2035 time frame. At present they are
working on a new rocket called 'Energia'. It will have a lift capacity of
200 TONS! When I pressed him , he either could not or would not give me
details about it. It will alllow them to build a 600 ton ISS in only 3
launches.
Does anyone have more information on this craft?

http://www.aerospaceguide.net/lv/energialv.html

There is nothing new about it. Lift capacity is between 100 and 200 metric
tons depending on the number of 1 stage strap-ons.

Rod Stevenson

Old November 10th 03, 09:37 AM
davon96720

Energia still manufactures, the factory is on the outside of Moscow.
Several Energia, boosters of the Buran shuttle, are still at the Baikonur
Cosmodrome. I have not heard of recent ventures about Engergia, but in '97,
when I visited, it seemed a viable factory.
davon96720