Go ____ throttle up

Old January 29th 06, 10:09 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Default Go ____ throttle up

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum here and I know that "AT" is
the right work between GO and Throttle.

Listening to the challenger reports yesterday, it seemed I heard the following:

ground: Go WITH throttle up
shuttle: Roger, go AT throttle up.

Did I hear wrong ?
Old January 29th 06, 10:57 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Hi,

they thought the inerertial accelearation would help recorrect the
seating of the SRB - against the wind shear.

And it only exacerbayeetd ti.

Old January 30th 06, 12:25 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Col. Dick Covey did indeed say, "Challenger, Go at throttle up." Covey
kind of had the impression that he was "board" so, it came out as "et"
instead of "at." It strikes me as odd that the news media has never
asked Covey what he said. Isn't he still associated with NASA, somehow?
I know he popped up a few times in the media during the Columbia
investigation.

BoringGuy

Old January 30th 06, 12:29 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Covey kind of had the impression that he was "board"

I can't even spell 'bored' correctly.

Boring

Old January 30th 06, 01:14 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

"Rick Nelson" wrote in message
Hi,

they thought the inerertial accelearation would help recorrect the
seating of the SRB - against the wind shear.

Huh? I'm afraid to ask but... what the hell are you talking about.

Go At throttle is a standard radio call and happens on all shuttle missions.
It had nothing to in response to anything you mention.

Old January 30th 06, 05:27 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

"John Doe" wrote in message ...
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum here and I know that "AT" is
the right work between GO and Throttle.

Listening to the challenger reports yesterday, it seemed I heard the

following:

ground: Go WITH throttle up
shuttle: Roger, go AT throttle up.

Did I hear wrong ?

Not sure, but I'm not sure what the difference between "with" and "at" would
be, anyway?

Its not like the pilot or commander is sitting there with his hand on the
throttle, waiting for the word to ram it forward. The throttle is computer
controlled, is it not?

"Go with throttle up" and "Go at throttle up" sound like the exact same
thing to me, announced after computers kick the throttle back up and
basically just saying, "Hey, the computers just kicked your throttle back up
and you are still looking great!", to which the crew replies basically,
"Roger that!"

Or am I missing something here?

-Eric

Old January 30th 06, 05:42 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

"Eric" wrote in message ...

Not sure, but I'm not sure what the difference between "with" and "at"

would
be, anyway?

Its not like the pilot or commander is sitting there with his hand on the
throttle, waiting for the word to ram it forward. The throttle is

computer
controlled, is it not?

"Go with throttle up" and "Go at throttle up" sound like the exact same
thing to me, announced after computers kick the throttle back up and
basically just saying, "Hey, the computers just kicked your throttle back

up
and you are still looking great!", to which the crew replies basically,
"Roger that!"

Or am I missing something here?

(adding)

Too bad they never release the voice tapes recorded in the cabin during
launches. Not the radio traffic, but just stuff said in the cabin between
the astronauts on the way up. I bet they'd be fun to listen to (not
Challenger), full of all sorts of colorful outbursts. Are there any other
transcripts of the in-cabin stuff other than Challenger? As professional as
they are, no amount of training can surpress their adrenaline from
outbursting "Go, you mother!"-type remarks on the way up. Even after years
and years of training, pilot backgrounds, etc, when they are actually
rocketing up to orbit it still has to be absolutetly *fun as hell*!

Old January 30th 06, 10:47 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Eric wrote:
Not sure, but I'm not sure what the difference between "with" and "at" would
be, anyway?

Go WITH throttle up: Crew has the go ahead to increase throttle.
(specific to throttling)

Go AT throttle up: At the moment when computers are throttling up,
ground advises crew that all is OK. (general to shuttle's health).
Old January 30th 06, 02:48 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 03:47:58 -0600, John Doe wrote
(in article ):

Eric wrote:
Not sure, but I'm not sure what the difference between "with" and "at" would
be, anyway?

Go WITH throttle up: Crew has the go ahead to increase throttle.
(specific to throttling)

You're an idiot, Mezei. The call was (and remains to this day), "Go AT
throttle-up" and the crew has nothing to do with it. They are simply
along for the ride at this point. Even if for some reason MCC called
"[Orbiter] you are NO GO at throttle-up" there's not a thing they could
do about it except get ready for an RTLS abort or a levle-flight
bailout AFTER SRB burnout and sep.

It is simply a status call-out, not a command or directive for the crew
to act.

Go AT throttle up: At the moment when computers are throttling up,
ground advises crew that all is OK. (general to shuttle's health).

As has been pointed out here many times.

--
Herb

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
~ RAH

Old January 30th 06, 06:29 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

"Eric" wrote in message
. ..
... Are there any other
transcripts of the in-cabin stuff other than Challenger?

Don't know about others besides Challenger STS 51-L, but here's the complete
transcript of cockpit, ground and intra-cockpit intercom from 51-L:

http://cbsnews.cbs.com/network/news/...3timeline.html

-- Joe D.

Throttle Up ed kyle Space Shuttle 14 February 6th 06 03:27 PM
Challenger - "Go With Throttle Up" [email protected] Space Shuttle 14 November 4th 05 02:18 PM
I would like to ask you folks a question Stephen Lombardo Space Shuttle 6 August 7th 05 11:39 PM
Armchair analysis of Delta performance shortfall [email protected] Policy 50 January 24th 05 06:56 PM