Outpost, a longtime NASA tavern, damaged by fire

Old January 29th 05, 06:40 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Default Outpost, a longtime NASA tavern, damaged by fire

A part of space history dodged a bullet this morning...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3013830

Outpost, a longtime NASA tavern, damaged by fire
By THAYER EVANS
Chronicle correspondent

WEBSTER -- An electrical short in a neon sign is being blamed for an early
morning blaze today that caused $15,000 worth of damage to a popular bar
and grill frequented by NASA employees.

The Outpost Tavern, located at the corner of NASA Parkway and Egret Bay
Boulevard, was closed when it caught on fire about 4:50 a.m., Webster Fire
Chief Jamie Galloway said.

He said the fire started outside on the building's east side and spread to
an attic before being extinguished by firefighters. The cause is likely to
be electrical from the wiring of a neon sign, Galloway said.

The blaze damaged an 18-foot-by-25-foot section of the structure's roof and
smoke from the fire did minor harm to the bar's vast collection of NASA
memorabilia, but many of the items are salvageable, said Stan Aden, 50, who
along with his wife, Sharon, owns the Outpost.

The 24-year-old red barn-like pub, which was once military barracks at
Ellington Field during World War II, has been featured in movies such as
Space Cowboys and Rocket Man.

"It could have been a lot worse," Aden said. "We really dodged a bullet. If
the fire started on the inside, we wouldn't be standing here right now."

Aden said the bar was insured, but not for the amount of money it will take
to repair it. He said he would like to have the Clear Lake landmark
reopened for business in time for the Super Bowl on Feb. 6.

"We're going to need some help," Aden said. "We're going to have to work on
the money. We'll get things rolling again, we hope."

Donations to rebuild the bar can be made at the Outpost or by mailing them
to P.O. Box 391, League City, Texas, 77574.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old February 3rd 05, 06:15 PM
Sy Liebergot

However, the real history took place in The Singin' Wheel down the road
a bit. This was the "Pancho Barnes Happy Bottom Riding Club" for the
Apollo Flight Controllers and their astronaut friends. It stands empty
today and I was told recently that the owners of the property are
asking $680K, and that the "worthless POS building should be torn
down." I devoted Chapter 36 of my autobiography to the Singin' Wheel,
but a lot of stories could not be told.
Everytime The Outpost owners have problems, they appeal for money--us
old Flight Controllers shoulda started a fund and bought the Wheel a
long time ago..
Sy Liebergot
"Apollo EECOM: Jorney Of A Lifetime"
www.apolloeecom.com

Old February 3rd 05, 06:31 PM
OM

On 3 Feb 2005 09:15:45 -0800, "Sy Liebergot"
wrote:

However, the real history took place in The Singin' Wheel down the road
a bit. This was the "Pancho Barnes Happy Bottom Riding Club" for the
Apollo Flight Controllers and their astronaut friends. It stands empty
today and I was told recently that the owners of the property are
asking $680K, and that the "worthless POS building should be torn
down." I devoted Chapter 36 of my autobiography to the Singin' Wheel,
but a lot of stories could not be told.

....You know, when I get around to getting OMWorld revamped(*), I could
be easily pursuaded to proved space for some of those untold accounts.
Unless, of course, they're stories that should not be told *out* of
school :-)

(*) Cue Pat to go "well, OM, if you weren't spending all your time
photographing strippers with their clothes *on*, you'd -have- more
time."

Everytime The Outpost owners have problems, they appeal for money--us
old Flight Controllers shoulda started a fund and bought the Wheel a
long time ago..

....Off the record, I dropped by the Outpost during the last JSC trip
just before NYE, and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. Lots of
memorabilia, but the few patrons that were there *and* the guy - at
least, I *think* it was a guy - behind the bar stared at me and my
brother like we were bugs in a jar. Needless to say, we didn't stay
long.
OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old February 3rd 05, 07:12 PM
Sy Liebergot

IMO, the primary reason that The Outpost gained notoriety was that
George Abbey (former JSC Director)and his entourage of cronies
(astronauts, etc) started going there. One could enhance his career by
sucking up to Abbey.
Happily, I was not one of them. Since most of that entourage have
retired and/or moved on, the place has lost its 'luster.' And no, the
Singin' Wheel stories that I omitted from my book will never find their
way into print.
Sy

Old February 3rd 05, 09:27 PM
Pat Flannery

Sy Liebergot wrote:

And no, the
Singin' Wheel stories that I omitted from my book will never find their
way into print.

No stories of nights of drunken and twisted primate lust with Ham and
Enos on the make, huh?
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/fall...S3/OLDHAM2.JPG
"So I told Judy the chimp that pulling over fourteen G's was one thing,
but I doubted I could take another sixty-eight of those!
Hell, I got a million of 'em like that... any of you guys up for
boilermakers?
Yeah, I knew _you_ would be Shepard...maybe we should make it tequila,
eh, Jose?
I once asked Miss Sam once if she knew the difference between a banana
and a penis; she said "no"- so I asked her if she'd like to go out for
lunch sometime...." :-)

Pat
Old February 8th 05, 08:43 AM
an

Wow, that's the second less than sparkling George Abbey comment I've run
across just today. The other being from an LCC Flight Sugeon during the
launch of 51-L at:

http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2005/01...remembers.html

So on Abbey, what's the overall verdict?

ups.com...

Old February 8th 05, 04:48 PM
Sy Liebergot

Re Geo. Abbey: Story has it that GSA was brought in by Chris Kraft to
be a 'Hatchet Man,' at which he turned out to be well suited. IMO.
He seemed to know how to quietly wield power which rumor had it came
from influential congressional buddies.
On a historical topic: I've been in contact with a young man who's
life ambition is to buy the Singin' Wheel and re-open it. Some
mysterious "old lady' owner is asking $680K for the property. IMO
there is no way that small parcel is worth even a quarter of that.
I've encouraged him to attempt to ferret out the true value and set
up a website for donations. I tell you, there's nothing like youthful
zeal.
Any of you fine people webmasters that would care to donate your time
to create a Singin' Wheel website?
Sy Liebergot
"Apollo EECOM: Journey Of A Lifetime"
www.apolloeecom.com

Old February 8th 05, 04:57 PM
OM

On 8 Feb 2005 07:48:36 -0800, "Sy Liebergot"
wrote:

Any of you fine people webmasters that would care to donate your time
to create a Singin' Wheel website?

....Possibly. I take it you've got stories *and* photos?

....On a side note, you may have missed it, but in an earlier post I
solicited your take on the Carpenter grounding and the controversy as
to whether Carpenter really showed the "Wrong Stuff" in flight, or was
it Kraft trying to put "Astropower" in its place that was the real
cause.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old February 8th 05, 05:03 PM
Sy Liebergot

Story is that Chris Kraft brought GWA to be a 'hatchet man.' at which
he proved to be good. Three thumbs down.
On another history topic: There's a young man that wants to buy the old
Singin' Wheel down the road from the Outpost. Some mysterious "old
lady' is asking $680K. That little piece of property is hardly worth
100K. IMO. Anyway, I'm encouraging him to ferret out the real value,
then set up a website for contributions. Nothing better that youthful
zeal. He needs a webmaster that will donate the time to set up a
website. any help out there?

Old February 8th 05, 05:45 PM
Sy Liebergot

wrote:

Any of you fine people webmasters that would care to donate your

time
to create a Singin' Wheel website?

...Possibly. I take it you've got stories *and* photos?

...On a side note, you may have missed it, but in an earlier post I
solicited your take on the Carpenter grounding and the controversy as
to whether Carpenter really showed the "Wrong Stuff" in flight, or

was
it Kraft trying to put "Astropower" in its place that was the real
cause.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr

NASA is coming along just fine now. Cardman Policy 2 July 8th 04 07:33 PM
UFO Activities from Biblical Times (LONG TEXT) Kazmer Ujvarosy SETI 2 December 25th 03 08:33 PM
NASA Releases Near-Earth Object Search Report Ron Baalke Misc 0 September 10th 03 04:39 PM
Risks Hallerb Space Shuttle 38 July 26th 03 01:57 AM
NASA: Gases Breached Wing of Shuttle Atlantis in 2000 Rusty Barton Space Shuttle 2 July 10th 03 01:27 AM