Mysterious signals from 1000 light years away

Old September 2nd 04, 02:06 PM
Mike Maxwell

Default Mysterious signals from 1000 light years away

Moderate Mammal wrote:

Mysterious signals from 1000 light years away

snip
There are other oddities. For instance, the signal’s frequency is
drifting by between eight to 37 hertz per second. “The signal is
moving rapidly in frequency and you would expect that to happen if you
are looking at a transmitter on a planet that’s rotating very rapidly
and where the civilisation is not correcting the transmission for the
motion of the planet,” Korpela says.
..
The relatively rapid drift of the signal is also puzzling for other
reasons. A planet would have to be rotating nearly 40 times faster
than Earth to have produced the observed drift; a transmitter on Earth
would produce a signal with a drift of about 1.5 hertz per second.

My first thought was that it might be on a satellite (or moon) orbiting
a planet at low altitude. But if I understand this correctly, the
orbital period would have to be 1/40 of an Earth day, i.e. 36 minutes.
Around what size planet would you have a low orbit period of 36 minutes?

But maybe the number 40 isn't correct? Wouldn't the factor be linear in
the ratio of observed drift vs. Earth-wise drift? I.e. if the observed
drift is between 8 and 37 Hz/sec, and the drift that would be observed
from a transmitter on Earth (as seen from a "stationary" observer, I
assume) would be 1.5 Hz/sec, wouldn't the factor be between 8/1.5 (=
5)and 37/1.5? (= 25) Giving putative orbital periods of between 270
minutes and 58 minutes, which would seem much more reasonable.

Mike McSwell
Old September 3rd 04, 03:47 AM
Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:52:07 -0400, Mike Maxwell
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message
:

robert j. kolker wrote:
Maybe all we got was a -Lucy- rerun (in a manner of speaking).

If it were real, I could dig that! Think of trying to do the
linguistics, especially when Ricky launches into ET's equivalent of Spanish.

Mike McSwell

"Joo got a lot o' splaineen to do!"
--
V.G.

Change pobox dot alaska to gci.
"I wanted a car I could run down pedestrians with. But one with a comfy ride, like a sofa on wheels." - Father Haskell

"No doubt about it, 9-11 was orchestrated by Lockheed." - *lexa 'connects the dots' 4/27/04 )

"Nope, Lockheed provided the cover for 9-11 due to abuses of it's system. They're guilty as charged. But ultimately it was Bechtel who concocted the
9-11 events." Alexa connects some totally different dots. 8/6/04 )

Sarcasm is my sword, Apathy is my shield.