The push for men on Mars. . .What's really going on here?

Old January 16th 04, 12:59 AM
Starstuffed

Default The push for men on Mars. . .What's really going on here?

The approximately 100 years since the appearance of airplanes have seen
inhabitants of this planet launch themselves into space, orbit the earth,
and walk on the moon.

Now, we are being told, it is time to establish a permanent presence on the
moon to aid in the objective of landing humans on Mars around the year 2030.
What is the rush?

The few vehicular robots which have been fortunate enough to hit the bulls
eye exhibit an ability to adequately photograph the surface on which they
can more or less freely roam. These rovers have now evolved to a point
where water and evidence of life, either present or past, can be
experimentally detected. It has not come cheaply but at a far less
expensive price and safer program than manned exploration could be
performed. Future robotics will surely be even more capable.

If money for the space program were limitless and human life were cheap then
perhaps the hurry could be more understood.

Is there a scientific basis at this early stage in the history of being able
to lift our feet off this planet for extended periods to plant them on the
surface of Mars? Could it simply be a national prestige thing under the
guise of necessary science? Is it just another mountain to climb simply
because it's there? Is it political ploy?

I don't get it.

--
Martin
Remove "ilikestars" from email address to reply

Old January 16th 04, 01:26 AM
HAVRILIAK

The approximately 100 years since the appearance of airplanes have seen
inhabitants of this planet launch themselves into space, orbit the earth,

There have always been skeptics and I guess you are one of them.
Old January 16th 04, 01:26 AM
HAVRILIAK

Old January 16th 04, 01:26 AM
HAVRILIAK

Old January 16th 04, 01:26 AM
HAVRILIAK

Old January 16th 04, 01:34 AM
Brian Tung

Havriliak wrote:
There have always been skeptics and I guess you are one of them.

Gee, you say that like it's a bad thing.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt

Old January 16th 04, 02:01 AM
Mark Hittinger

"Starstuffed" writes:
Now, we are being told, it is time to establish a permanent presence on the
moon to aid in the objective of landing humans on Mars around the year 2030.
What is the rush?

I agree, lets give the inspectors more time :-)

Later

Mark Hittinger