Valeev is by no means the worst offender

Old February 25th 09, 02:46 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Americans - Insane in the Membrane

Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:
:
:"Fred J. McCall" wrote:
:
: Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:
:
: :Really? Whose identity might that be?
:
: I think Ian is trying to claim you're not you, presumably because
: (like most professionals) you don't post through your work email
: address (neither do I - I pay the freight for this myself).
:
:I'm not who I say I am because I'm not stealing time or re-
:sources from my employer to "spar" (term used advisedly)
:with him? Yeesh.
:
:Ah, well, Fred...you have to admit, if I'm going to steal an
:identity, I picked a good one...all the clothes fit me, I've the
:keys to the car and front door and I even like the look of
:her husband. :-)
:

And the dogs are cute, too.

Except you're not supposed to have a husband, since you're apparently
supposed to be my girlfriend. Except you're not a girl....

: I don't think Ian knows the difference between a biochemist (who is a
: chemist) and a chemical biologist (who is a biologist).
:
: Of course, I don't believe that Ian knows the difference between ****
: and Shinola, either.
:
:I'm certain he knows what the former is, he generates
lenty of it...as for the latter, is it still even being made?
:

I guess not, but Ian is certainly making lots of ****.

: I alternate between Ian being a gibberbot and Ian being a mentally
: defective Arab immigrant to London.
:
: Perhaps he's both - a mentally deficient Arab gibberbot.
:
:That was very unkind, Fred...there's no reason to traduce
:mentally deficient Arab gibberbots that way.
:
:So. How long do you think we'll have to wait until he pro-
:duces an abstract?
:

I'll book my skiing trip to Hell when that happens....

--
"We come into the world and take our chances.
Fate is just the weight of circumstances.
Old February 25th 09, 03:48 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Ian Parker wrote:
:
:The fundamental issue is that Fred and Deirdre are posting in a
:totally destructive way.
:

The fundamental issue is that Ian Parker is posting in a totally
brainless way.

:
:They have nothing really to say about NASA or
:the singularity university.
:

Nothing you want to hear, certainly, given how you keep ignoring
what's said and making up lies.

:
:I believe they are attempting to sabotage
:the new management of NASA.
:

I believe you must be absolutely insane. Just how do you think
posting to Usenet could do that?

:
:What have I in fact said? All I have done is simply point out that
:NASA has teamed up with Kurtzweil to carry out thre sort of things I
:was talking about earlier.
:

Yes, you pointed that out. The only problem is that it never
happened. Of course, you point out lots of things that aren't in
precise 1:1 accord with our current reality, so I guess I shouldn't be
surprised.

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine
Old February 25th 09, 04:31 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Deirdre Sholto Douglas

"Fred J. McCall" wrote:

Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:
:
:Ah, well, Fred...you have to admit, if I'm going to steal an
:identity, I picked a good one...all the clothes fit me, I've the
:keys to the car and front door and I even like the look of
:her husband. :-)

And the dogs are cute, too.

Except you're not supposed to have a husband, since you're apparently
supposed to be my girlfriend. Except you're not a girl....

Shhh...no one's supposed to know we-us are from planet Starg
in the Proxima Elite Galaxy...as soon as I-we get the transmit-
ter fixed I-we'll resume our normal mind control, in the interim
we-us have been forced to lower ourselves to using the Internet.
You have no idea how hard it is to adapt to this quaint, text-only
communications network of yours...my-our ortho-palps do not
manipulate QWERTY keyboards easily and staring at the screen
is causing considerable eyestalk strain...

However, don't let my-our technological problems trouble you...the
hive cluster assures me-us that everything will be sorted shortly...
and I-we have noted you're remarkably non-sentient after ingestion
anyway (very poor evolutionary planning on your part, we-us must
say), therefore my-our genderless nature will no longer be a concern
for you. (After all, I-we are card-carrying members of the GSPCF
[Galactic Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Food] and we-us
would have you treated humanely.)

Would you please pass the ammonium chloride?

Deirdre
Old February 25th 09, 12:49 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
jmfbahciv

jmfbahciv wrote:
Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:

My guess is that this particular think-challenged soul is the
sort who will interrupt and disrupt any discussion that takes
place without him...rather like having a toddler in the room.
While I agree in theory with your premise, I suspect that given
the living entities involved, it's impossible to pull off in prac-
tice. :-(

Oh, but that's why newsgroups work. No whinging sounds interrupt
an exchange.

Evidence would seem to suggest that most newsgroups
_don't_ work...in fact, most are so cluttered with noise
the signal is pretty much lost.

That's part of the fun....turning noise into quality signal :-).

BTW, why didn't you go after the Marine Bio?

No money. Turns out, looking back, I probably would not have
done anything remarkable in the bio field. What I did do is help
make it possible so the science types had access to as many
compute cycles as possible and be able to write their own code
and specs with a minimum of turnaround time.

/BAH

/BAH
Old February 25th 09, 12:53 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

: jmfbahciv wrote:
[...]

A pity there are so many netloons working to do the reverse.

:
:
: BTW, why didn't you go after the Marine Bio?
:
:
:No money. Turns out, looking back, I probably would not have
:done anything remarkable in the bio field. What I did do is help
:make it possible so the science types had access to as many
:compute cycles as possible and be able to write their own code
:and specs with a minimum of turnaround time.
:

Partly the same reason I switched from chemistry. Engineering is more
fun and pays better.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney
Old February 25th 09, 12:54 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
jmfbahciv

jmfbahciv wrote:
Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:
I don't know if it's "more interestingly", but it's certainly
"more likely"...particularly if one is working with living
entities with their own agendas. Microbes can be such
notional wee things. :-)

I said "more interestingly" because most efforts stop and
tidy up after something works. IOW, no more work at finding
something that works. But that may not be the case in a
science lab. It certainly is the case in business.

It's infinite regression...every answer raises more questions and
every time something works, it merely becomes a new building
block in making something else work. The remarkable, wahoo-we-
did-it! success in 2001 is 2009's Student Methodology.

I can spend weeks/months up in my lab trying to convince my
critters to behave in a given manner, which means I have to
understand their natural behaviour and exploit it...in the pro-
cess of gaining that understanding I'm going to hit a lot of
roadblocks and discover a multitude of things which don't
work. But, let's say after a time I solve the problem and I
have a sample.

I trot my sample down to the beam and the measurements
invariably raise more questions: Why didn't they do insert
desired behaviour here? Why did they do insert unexpected
behaviour here? Is it an artifact? Introduced by the beam?
The atmosphere? The processing? Or is it supposed to be
there? Can I explain it as a natural attribute? Can I replicate
it?

Now, I get to do it all over again and hope the bugs behave the
same way...sometimes they don't, if they don't I have another
problem to solve (which occasionally results in new answers,
but is more likely to result in new questions). Back to the beam
and more measurements...cross fingers and hope the results
are within range of the earlier ones....if so, they still need to
be explained in terms of the system...if they're different the
discrepancy needs to be accounted for.

Even if everything works, I might still need to find a different
method if I can't explain _why_ it works. It's a bit different
than business in that regard.

Quite a bit different :-). In business, you get paid for
reproducible results and never get time to write up what
didn't work. If you're real lucky (or smart enough to
plan ahead), you sometimes get to figure out why stuff didn't
work. I'm talking mostly about hard/software developement
of computer manufacturers; we only sold the stuff that worked
consistently. Time frames for getting the stuff to work
were a lot shorter than yours.

/BAH
Old February 25th 09, 01:26 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
jmfbahciv

: jmfbahciv wrote:
[...]

Since Ian has decided to become vicious, I'm not going to try with his
posts anymore.

:
:
: BTW, why didn't you go after the Marine Bio?
:
:
:No money. Turns out, looking back, I probably would not have
:done anything remarkable in the bio field. What I did do is help
:make it possible so the science types had access to as many
:compute cycles as possible and be able to write their own code
:and specs with a minimum of turnaround time.
:

Partly the same reason I switched from chemistry. Engineering is more
fun and pays better.

I didn't care about the pay.

/BAH

Old February 25th 09, 04:35 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
hanson

Default Andorkles is by all means the worst offender

---- AHAHAHAHAHA... ahahahaha... AHAHAHAHA... ----

Andorkles is by all means the worst offender.

"hanson" wrote:

--- http://tinyurl.com/dfz536 ---

[ snipped most of Andro's sad tripe wherein he relives
now his 2nd early child hood with Buggs Bunny who has
become his idol: http://tinyurl.com/4sbexo ... ahahaha]

Andorkles wrote:
Man, this is SO easy to write. No thought required at all.
I've [been] explained [...] the geriatric symptoms of [my]
encroaching senility.

hanson wrote:
ahahaha... Wow, a brief flash of lucidity has manifested
in Andro! .. So, Andro, go have the last word now so
that you can bask in the glory your sorry state and say:
"I won!"... & re-enforce thereby my diagnosis of/about
your sad condition: --- http://tinyurl.com/dfz536 ---.
TFTLIA..... AHAHAHAHA... ahahaha... ahahahanson

Old February 25th 09, 04:58 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Androcles[_8_]

hanson wrote:
ahahaha... Wow, a brief flash of lucidity has manifested
in Andro! .. So, Andro, go have the last word now so that you can bask
in the glory your sorry state and say: "I won!"... & re-enforce thereby my
diagnosis of/about your sad condition: --- http://tinyurl.com/dfz536 ---.
TFTLIA..... AHAHAHAHA... ahahaha... ahahahanson

A Harvard professor's testimony to the government on the effects of cutting
off the ends of dicks has inflamed a 60-year-long debate over the practice's
safety and its place in the mental health scheme- prompting a University
investigation into his work that has garnered nationwide attention.

Chester Bigass, chair of the Genital Health Policy and Epidemiology
Department at the Harvard School of Penile Medicine (HSPM), submitted
written testimony to the National Research Council last year claiming that
there was no significant link between circumcision and Einstein
dingleberryism, a common but benign form of bigotry particularly prevalent
in the USA.

Since then, several environmental advocacy groups have questioned the
validity of his research, claiming conflict of interest and outright
deception.

"His conclusion that there is no link is a lie," said Kim Throop, the head
toxicologist for the Environmental Clipping Group, the Washington-based
organization that filed the initial ethics complaint with the National
Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. "He cites work in his
references, but directly contradicts it in his write-up."

At the heart of the group's claims lies the work of one of Bigass' doctoral
students, Elise B. Ballsy. Using Bigass' data, Ballsy came up with a
different set of conclusions-she found that circumcision makes the risk
of dingleberryism five to seven times higher.

Ballsy's work has never been published in a peer-reviewed journal, a gold
standard for scientific authenticity. Select portions of her study, however,
have been publicized by the Environmental Clipping Group.

While HSPM is investigating the allegations, several Harvard professors
have spoken out in support of their colleague.

Byron Allfukian Jr., a Harvard associate clinical professor and one of the
foremost experts in penal health policy, called the environmental groups'
claims "ridiculous" and "illogical," saying that Bigass is a world leader in
the field and that the results of his seven-year study should be treated
with respect.

"The claims don't hold fluoridated semen," Allfukian said. "If I was going
to take every study done by a student and say that this should be public
policy, then we'd be in very bad shape."

Another group, the Circumcision Action Network, has accused Bigass of
having a conflict of interest. Bigass edits the Trojan Penile Care Report, a
newsletter subsidized by Durex International, which looks at issues
affecting
penile and mental health. Colgate uses fluoride in its popular toothpaste
and
although that is irrelevant it is an important aspect of Einstein
dingleberryism,
irrelevance being the major symptom of the disease.

Claiming "ties to a company that profits from circumcision," the network
asked the National Institute of Health, which has funded Bigass' work, to
remove Bigass from the study, eliminate all other conflicts of interest, and
publish his data along with his conclusions.

But P. Brice Jerkoff, dean of the HSPM, says that Bigass' work with the
journal "represents no conflict of interest" and has been reviewed by the
University.

"He edits a newsletter that is part of a learning experience for hookers
worldwide," said Jerkoff, who expects the investigation to be completed
in a month or two.

This is the first time Bigass has faced allegations of misconduct in his
roughly 30 years working at Harvard, said Jerkoff.

But other groups are not waiting for the results of Harvard's investigation.
Unions from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), longtime
opponents of semen fluoridization, seized on the allegations against
Bigass, writing a letter to the EPA administrator calling for a moratorium
on programs that add circumcision to penises.

But Allfukian, who is also the former chair of the U.S. Surgeon General's
Clipping Group on Circumcision and Mental Health, says that the
preponderance of evidence favors circumcision, and that the groups
criticizing Bigass' work are probably fringe groups reminiscent of the movie
"Deep Throat".

"When this was first implemented, a lot of people thought it was a communist
plot," he said. "The Government started circumcising communities in 1945...
and by 1950 saw such a dramatic benefit that the government endorsed it for
the entire country."

Since then dingleberryism has shown a dramatic increase among males, but no
significant increase among females.

Dr. Stephen Hawking-Gonads IV, a professor in Bigass' department, said that
he does not think that any of his colleagues would support ending
circumcision
programs.

"Circumcision has worked so well," he said. Circumcision strengthens dick
heads and reduces thinking, lowering the resistance to Einstein's genius,
said
Hawking-Gonads.