NASA's Launch Abort System Hardware Starts Cross Country Trek

Old March 4th 09, 12:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Default NASA's Launch Abort System Hardware Starts Cross Country Trek

"Rick Jones" wrote in message
NASA'S LAUNCH ABORT SYSTEM HARDWARE STARTS CROSS COUNTRY TREK

HAMPTON, Va. -- A full-scale mock-up of NASA's Orion launch abort
system began a week-long flatbed trailer ride across the country
Tuesday, en route to White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. Once
at White Sands, the rocket-like structure will help NASA prepare for
this year's abort system test, called Pad Abort 1.

During its journey, the LAS pathfinder will break from the drive to
visit museums along the way. Museum visits include:

* Adventure Science Center in Nashville, Tenn., on Wednesday, March 4
* Science Museum Oklahoma in Oklahoma City on Friday and Saturday,
March 6 and 7
* Don Harrington Discovery Center in Amarillo, Texas, on Sunday,
March
8
* New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo, N.M., on Monday,
March 9

Is the thing in transit or on a publicity tour? Did Apollo's go on a
similar tour?

That I don't know, but it is a "full-scale mock-up". It's not like NASA is
going to let a bunch of elementary school kids stick their grubby little
hands on actual flight hardware. ;-)

Surely this is a bit of marketing in the guise of education, which I think
is a good thing for NASA. The pop news media certainly isn't educating the
public when it comes to space.

Jeff
--
"Many things that were acceptable in 1958 are no longer acceptable today.
My own standards have changed too." -- Freeman Dyson