Reprint of "lost" spaceflight classic...

Old January 12th 06, 12:13 AM posted to sci.space.history

Default Reprint of "lost" spaceflight classic...

OM wrote:

On 11 Jan 2006 11:53:35 -0800, wrote:

It is. I got me a copy a few years back, thanks to the magic of Ebay...
it's surprisingly good. Not near as cheesy as a lot of the sci-fi works
of the time.

...Damn. I was hoping for more of the usual from that era:

"I say, old chap...I do believe your fiancee has stowed away in the
cargo hold!"

"Sarah! This is no place for a woman! You could get killed!"

"Massah Nicklemain, I's does believe's she's *BE* daid!"

"Quiet, Coaltone! ..."

At first glance, you'd think that woudl be an exageration. Oh, no. Oh
HELL no. Witness this passage from that literary masterpiece, "Through
Space To Mars" by "Roy Rockwood" in 1910:

"I 'clar t' gracious!" he exclaimed. "Dat suttinly am a most
inconsequential mannah in which to project a transmigatory object in
contiguousness to mah predestination."

"Whoa, there!" cried Jack. "Better take two bites at that, Wash!"

"Dat's all right, Massa Jack," answered the colored man. "I'se glad to
see yo', an' I suttinly hopes dat de transubstantiationableness ob my ----"

"Wow!" cried Jack. "Say that over again, and say it slow."

"Don't yo' foregather mah excitability?" asked the colored man rather
anxiously.

And so on. And it doesn't really get any better than that, either. It's
like a deep view into the psyche of Teddy Kennedy or Bobert Byrd. Shudder.

--
"The only thing that galls me about someone burning the American flag is how unoriginal it is. I mean if you're going to pull the Freedom-of-speech card, don't be a hack, come up with something interesting. Fashion Old Glory into a wisecracking puppet and blister the system with a scathing ventriloquism act, or better yet, drape the flag over your head and desecrate it with a large caliber bullet hole." Dennis Miller
Old January 12th 06, 12:16 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:13:07 GMT, Scott Lowther
wrote:

And so on. And it doesn't really get any better than that, either. It's
like a deep view into the psyche of Teddy Kennedy or Bobert Byrd. Shudder.

....Funny you should mention Teddy the Drunk. I got an e-mail today
regarding JFKaos, asking if I'd ever seen a patch for JFK Reloaded to
turn JFK's head into Teddy's.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old January 12th 06, 02:06 AM posted to sci.space.history

Bill Higgins wrote:

And legendary prankster! He orginated the
massive-gyroscope-in-a-suitcase trick, alarming bellboys everywhere.
He'd conspicuously spit into a puddle while covertly tossing a sliver
of metallic sodium into it.

I'd heard of the first one, but the sodium is pure genius. :-D

Pat
Old January 12th 06, 02:19 AM posted to sci.space.history

OM wrote:

...Damn. I was hoping for more of the usual from that era:

Just latch onto a copy of Star Smashers Of the Galaxy Rangers by Harry
Harrison sometime.

Pat
Old January 12th 06, 04:10 AM posted to sci.space.history

In article ,
Jonathan Silverlight wrote:
http://www.lulu.com/content/215456

"Item not available."

Works OK here.

Now it's working here. Must be sunspots. :-)
Old January 12th 06, 07:02 PM posted to sci.space.history

One of the more striking things about the book is its heroine, Rhoda
Gibbs...a beautiful, courageous, free-thinking genius who was at least
50 years ahead of her time...

OM wrote:
On 11 Jan 2006 11:53:35 -0800, wrote:

It is. I got me a copy a few years back, thanks to the magic of Ebay...
it's surprisingly good. Not near as cheesy as a lot of the sci-fi works
of the time.

...Damn. I was hoping for more of the usual from that era:

"I say, old chap...I do believe your fiancee has stowed away in the
cargo hold!"

"Sarah! This is no place for a woman! You could get killed!"

"Massah Nicklemain, I's does believe's she's *BE* daid!"

"Quiet, Coaltone! Get back to your cleaning, while Professor
Huntington-On-Mainwaring and I attempt to revive her using the most
polite methods currently known to modern science. Which means not
removing one scrap of clothing to preserve her dignity!"

"Lawdy! I's shoah hopes dey nebbah hafta do dat to me's, nossuh!"

...Of course, Coaltone saves the day by climbing the Monolith, and
causing the Selenites to chase each other around and around it until
they turned into the fuel needed to get the "Hail Mary!" powered up
and headed back to Earth!

OM
--
]=====================================[
] OMBlog -

Old January 12th 06, 07:02 PM posted to sci.space.history

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:
In message , Henry Spencer
writes
In article .com,
Ron Miller wrote:
This is the first time the book has been made available in half a
century. The reprint can be found he
http://www.lulu.com/content/215456

"Item not available."

Works OK here.

There was a problem with the files at Lulu for few hours...it's been
taken care of now...

Old January 12th 06, 08:00 PM posted to sci.space.history

Ron Miller wrote:

There was a problem with the files at Lulu for few hours...it's been
taken care of now...

(Cut to image of dead Green Martian Lulu worker on floor as John Carter
reholsters his Radium Pistol.) :-)

Pat

Show some netiquette Saul Levy Misc 18 September 11th 05 10:52 AM
Show some netiquette Rising Loonie Astronomy Misc 17 September 11th 05 10:52 AM
kookdancers digest [email protected] Astronomy Misc 4 July 30th 05 06:41 AM
kookdancers digest [email protected] Astronomy Misc 43 July 25th 05 10:20 PM
Talk to Congress about Commercial Human Spaceflight Edward Wright Policy 16 October 14th 03 12:20 AM