ASTRO: Sh2-261

Old August 9th 14, 01:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Sh2-261

Sh2-261 also known as Lower's Nebula is an HII region probably
illuminated by the O7.5 runaway star HD 41997. That is the bright blue
star toward the top center of my image just above the brightest part of
the nebula. I found distance estimates to the nebula ranging from 1000
to 3000 parsecs distant. If the closer is right it is part of the Orion
arm of our galaxy. If the more distant ones are correct it is part of
the Gemini OB1 complex. The Sky lists the Hipparcos data as showing the
star to be 909 parsecs distant making it part of the Orion arm and not
the Gemini OB1 complex quite a few papers seem to show it. Sounds like
more work needs to be done on this one.

The nebula gets the name Lower's Nebula as it was photographed by an
amateur father and son team (Harold and son Charles Lower) in 1939 with
their 8" f/1 Schmidt camera they'd constructed a few years earlier.

The nebula is a huge squashed ring several times larger than my field of
view. I just selected the brighter part of the bottom of the ring. It
is best seen in H alpha light but it contains some reflection components
around the illuminating star that I wanted to pick up so I used LRGB
imaging without any H alpha added. Unfortunately, conditions were
rather poor for this image with high clouds creating a glow around the
brighter stars that I only sort of eliminated. It also reduced my
ability to pick up the fainter parts of the nebula without more noise
than I'd normally tolerate. Probably another for the reshoot list that
probably won't happen.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2-261L4X10RGB2X10R.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	580.1 KB
ID:	5230  Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2-261L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	5231
Old August 15th 14, 10:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

very good detail in the HII region and a nice small blue nebula to boot.

Stefan

. com...